Wall Street Journal investigation confirms Google operates censorship blacklist Watch

AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So, this is the freedom of the West? The free speech and other things that the Hong Kong rioters supposedly strive for, to become censored underneath America's watchful eye?

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/201.../pers-n18.html

In an extensive article published Friday, a Wall Street Journal investigation concluded that, contrary to Google’s repeated assertions, the company maintains blacklists of individual websites and intervenes directly to manipulate individual search results.

The Journal reviewed a draft policy document from August 2018 that outlines how Google employees should implement an “anti-misinformation” blacklist aimed at blocking certain publishers from appearing in Google News and other search products.

Google’s culture of publicly resisting demands to change results has diminished, current and former employees said. A few years ago, the company dismantled a global team focused on free-speech issues that, among other things, publicized the company’s legal battles to fight changes to search results, in part because Google had lost several of those battles in court, according to a person familiar with the change… “Free expression was no longer a winner,” the person said.

Google’s decision about which sites were “authoritative” was clearly political in nature.

In 2018, Google set up a “news initiative” to “Clean Up False News,” as the New York Times reported. Among its partners are the New York Times, the Washington Post and the Guardian, all of which circulated false statements by the Bush administration regarding so-called “weapons of mass destruction” in Iraq, among countless other lies.

Google’s statements about promoting “authoritative” news outlets is code for promoting news outlets that support US foreign policy and the lies that underpin it, because, as the Journal writes, “search is a zero-sum game: A change that helps lift one result inevitably pushes down another.”
Last edited by AngeryPenguin; 2 weeks ago
Pinkisk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
So, this is the freedom of the West? The free speech and other things that the Hong Kong rioters supposedly strive for, to become censored underneath America's watchful eye?

In an extensive article published Friday, a Wall Street Journal investigation concluded that, contrary to Google’s repeated assertions, the company maintains blacklists of individual websites and intervenes directly to manipulate individual search results.

The Journal reviewed a draft policy document from August 2018 that outlines how Google employees should implement an “anti-misinformation” blacklist aimed at blocking certain publishers from appearing in Google News and other search products.

Google’s culture of publicly resisting demands to change results has diminished, current and former employees said. A few years ago, the company dismantled a global team focused on free-speech issues that, among other things, publicized the company’s legal battles to fight changes to search results, in part because Google had lost several of those battles in court, according to a person familiar with the change… “Free expression was no longer a winner,” the person said.

Google’s decision about which sites were “authoritative” was clearly political in nature.

In 2018, Google set up a “news initiative” to “Clean Up False News,” as the New York Times reported. Among its partners are the New York Times, the Washington Post and the Guardian, all of which circulated false statements by the Bush administration regarding so-called “weapons of mass destruction” in Iraq, among countless other lies.

Google’s statements about promoting “authoritative” news outlets is code for promoting news outlets that support US foreign policy and the lies that underpin it, because, as the Journal writes, “search is a zero-sum game: A change that helps lift one result inevitably pushes down another.”
I thumbed you up because I agree with what you have written here, entirely, but I don't understand why you are unhappy? Google is blacklisting organisations and companies that do not conform with feminist interpretations of right and wrong (...We have Project Veritas to thank for this revelation) and you are a feminist.

Google is doing what this forum is doing and what Yahoo is doing and what CNN is doing and what our student union has been doing for many years and what MOST ALL UNIVERSITIES in this country have been doing for decades...censoring ANYONE and EVERYONE that does not fall in line with the leftist extremist dogma that is highly institutionalised in all of these aforementioned organisations.

Censorship is an integral part of all things feminism, all things left...I have yet to come across a single feminist who has not at one point in her life worked hard to silence anyone that she finds a threat to her ideas.

I have a video from a high ranking student union rep promising that she will do her best to get all "fascists" kicked out of universities..."fascists" in feminist speak is anyone that does not fall in line with feminism...I'll try and find it and upload it on her.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 2 weeks ago
DiddyDecAlt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The WSJ misrepresenting facts once again to drive their own message, what a surprise.

https://searchengineland.com/misquot...-search-325241
rojomed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)

Good article
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Pinkisk)
Google is doing what this forum is doing and what Yahoo is doing and what CNN is doing and what our student union has been doing for many years and what MOST ALL UNIVERSITIES in this country have been doing for decades...censoring ANYONE and EVERYONE that does not fall in line with the leftist extremist dogma that is highly institutionalised in all of these aforementioned organisations.
Do i smell a conspiracy theory cooking in your noggin? I must say this is the first i've heard of the "extremist left" cabal.By any chance are you GROSSLY overstating the political leanings of the aforementioned companies and groupings and betraying an alarming ignorance of what the 'extremist left' are?

I have a video from a high ranking student union rep promising that she will do her best to get all "fascists" kicked out of universities..."fascists" in feminist speak is anyone that does not fall in line with feminism...I'll try and find it and upload it on her.
I trust the irony of you barracking on about the evil left trying to smear everyone they dont like and then you promising to do a political hit job on someone isnt lost on you, yes?
Pinkisk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Do i smell a conspiracy theory cooking in your noggin? I must say this is the first i've heard of the "extremist left" cabal.By any chance are you GROSSLY overstating the political leanings of the aforementioned companies and groupings and betraying an alarming ignorance of what the 'extremist left' are?
You ask a set of questions, which indicate that you recognise that you lack information, but still you saw it fit to come to a conclusion that this is a "conspiracy theory"...sigh

I could just as easily throw this illogical argument back at you and say that your belief here is a conspiracy theory. You believe that I, a mere student, am conspiring against these aforementioned giants. This conspiracy theory illogic doesn't address the points raised and it is used a lot against people like you who support Palestine and things like that. You should know better than to call on the illogical conspiracy theory version of Godwin's Law.

"I trust the irony of you barracking on about the evil left trying to smear everyone they dont like and then you promising to do a political hit job on someone isnt lost on you, yes?"

aaah..what a desperately bad straw man argument...I don't remember myself criticising people for exposing authoritarianism and censorship. I think it was clear that I was arguing the opposite. I am criticising censorship and I am all for exposing it. I am all for exposing these attitudes and their proponents in positions of authority. If you can find an example of me wanting censorship, me wanting to destroy the careers of people I disagree with and proudly boasting about it in a position of authority, please do a "hit job" on me.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 2 weeks ago
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by rojomed)
Good article
Thank you. You can follow me for alternative viewpoints on current affairs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (90)
18.95%
Labour (235)
49.47%
Liberal Democrats (63)
13.26%
Green Party (28)
5.89%
Brexit Party (6)
1.26%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.63%
SNP (10)
2.11%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.63%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.26%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (2)