The Student Room Group

Turning 19, still a virgin and I can't feel love

Hello, I have been dealing with this conflictual emotional state of mind for months now and I thought it's time to ask for advice. Whenever I come across a cute girl with a great personality (something pretty rare in my town, at least), it's impossible for me to not get attracted towards her. The thing is that I am avoiding any engaging into a relationship because I can't feel love (by love I mean true love, where you give love, not receive). I am self-disciplined and everytime I'm contemplating at doing something that would give me pleasure, I am always looking first at the consequences. I cannot imagine a relationship where one can't truly love the other as working and in the end it would break and both participants would suffer. I can at most highly respect a close person to me, but not love him/her. Whenever I read literature and witness creations and destructions of relationships where love is involved, I always become sad as I am thinking that I have never truly had been in such a thing and probably will never. I'm mostly worried that this potential loner condition might impact my mental health and reduce my ability to perform academically, since a big part of my identity revolves around high-level academics. Everytime I've been in such distressful thoughts, the solution was revolving around a logical reasoning that I could not perceive until told about. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I have been dealing with this conflictual emotional state of mind for months now and I thought it's time to ask for advice. Whenever I come across a cute girl with a great personality (something pretty rare in my town, at least), it's impossible for me to not get attracted towards her. The thing is that I am avoiding any engaging into a relationship because I can't feel love (by love I mean true love, where you give love, not receive). I am self-disciplined and everytime I'm contemplating at doing something that would give me pleasure, I am always looking first at the consequences. I cannot imagine a relationship where one can't truly love the other as working and in the end it would break and both participants would suffer. I can at most highly respect a close person to me, but not love him/her. Whenever I read literature and witness creations and destructions of relationships where love is involved, I always become sad as I am thinking that I have never truly had been in such a thing and probably will never. I'm mostly worried that this potential loner condition might impact my mental health and reduce my ability to perform academically, since a big part of my identity revolves around high-level academics. Everytime I've been in such distressful thoughts, the solution was revolving around a logical reasoning that I could not perceive until told about. Any thoughts are appreciated.

typo, I meant "conflictive"
It's normal to have never been in love with someone at age 19. Love takes a while to develop with someone it's not something you feel from the beginning. Stop over-thinking it and next time you meet someone just let things take their natural course.
(edited 4 years ago)
Get stuck in now my son, get a bird you like around when mummy and daddy out, put some music on glass of sandy, remember tho play it safe, just slap a Johnny on and off you go, bobs your uncle.
And some people lose it at 40 so don't feel bad, just relax fella jeez.
Reply 4
You're 19!! How many of us really know what real or true loves feels like at this age?! You're massively over analysing this, don't go into it with the intention of hoping to fall in love. Enjoy the experience, you never know what it might lead to. Good luck and don't stress.
Reply 5
Original post by sinfonietta
It's normal to have never been in love with someone at age 19. Love takes a while to develop with someone it's not something you feel from the beginning. Stop over-thinking it and next time you meet someone just let things take their natural course.

I believe it's not that simple. I hate to say it, even to a stranger, but I don't think I even love my very close ones (family). They are the people I hold in my highest esteem and they had showed me love, but I can't think the same about them. Could it be because I had never experienced the loss of a close one in my life?
Aw
I believe it's not that simple. I hate to say it, even to a stranger, but I don't think I even love my very close ones (family). They are the people I hold in my highest esteem and they had showed me love, but I can't think the same about them. Could it be because I had never experienced the loss of a close one in my life?

I really don’t like my family as well

I'm 18, and the more I read this thread, the more I'm like "What is love really though?" Guess I've now joined the club.
woahh the right girl will come around, or maybe you've already met her but you're subconsciously still developing real feelings for her. don't trust the depictions of love in literature... very rarely are they right.
is religion stopping you by any chance? because i tend to restrain myself from fully falling in love with someone because i know i will never be able to fulfil their sexual needs (which is important in romantic relationships) because i'd feel guilty and i'd know that my parents will get mad at me lol.
woahh the right girl will come around, or maybe you've already met her but you're subconsciously still developing real feelings for her. don't trust the depictions of love in literature... very rarely are they right.
is religion stopping you by any chance? because i tend to restrain myself from fully falling in love with someone because i know i will never be able to fulfil their sexual needs (which is important in romantic relationships) because i'd feel guilty and i'd know that my parents will get mad at me lol.

what does your sex or romantic life have to do with your parents? none of their business!
You're a very young person.

Develop yourself and let things unfold.
I agree with (most of) the previous answers. You’re beating yourself up over nothing. Love takes time to develop and you’re not going to develop feelings with a girl automatically because she ticks a few boxes. Chemistry can’t really be defined. Relax.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Studying_Brad
Get stuck in now my son, get a bird you like around when mummy and daddy out, put some music on glass of sandy, remember tho play it safe, just slap a Johnny on and off you go, bobs your uncle.
And some people lose it at 40 so don't feel bad, just relax fella jeez.

How did we cope before you joined the forum?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending