Birmingham University refused to look into student's off-campus rape claim

Watch
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Birmingham University has refused to investigate student complaints of rape where the alleged assaults took place off campus, it has emerged.

A graduate told the Guardian she was left fearing for her safety after the university said it would not take disciplinary action against a male student who she alleged had raped her in her privately rented student accommodation.

In a letter to Alice (not her real name) in May, the university said it could not deal with allegations of misconduct unless it was said to have taken place “during a university-related activity or on university premises”. “It didn’t feel like the university believed me,” Alice said. “It felt like they were blaming me because I brought [my alleged attacker] home.”

A former women’s officer at Birmingham Guild of Students said the university had also refused to investigate rape and sexual harassment complaints made by several other female students against male students in the last academic year because the incidents were alleged to have occurred off campus.

Alif Trevathan, who supported Alice during her complaint, said: “We were aware of six similar cases in the same year. Some had formally reported it or told a lecturer or a welfare tutor, and the response off the bat was ‘we can’t do anything for you’. Some took it further and still ended up with [nothing].”

source: the guardian
This is worrying, and even more so that even if it's supposedly 'beyond' their capabilities to investigate off campus, they can provide services to victims whilst cooperating with the police, just like every other uni.

According to their regulations, if social media had been involved, that can be fully investigated.
Last edited by kkboyk; 1 year ago
Wōden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Perfectly reasonable. They're a university, not a private detective agency. Leave it to the police and the CPS.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kkboyk)
This is worrying, and even more so that even if it's supposedly 'beyond' their capabilities to investigate off campus, they can provide services to victims whilst cooperating with the police, just like every other uni.

According to their regulations, if social media had been involved, that can be fully investigated.
A rape claim is a criminal matter for police investigation. You wouldn't expect a school to investigate a rape claim, or an employer, or a hotel, so why would you expect a University to do so?

Looking after someone's mental health maybe (though why not the NHS like any other non-university student has to do, is a reasonable question), but the reason for needing welfare support is incidental/parallel to a police investigation into criminal activity.

It's very well established in other organisations that you let the law take its course first, and if there is a guilty verdict, you follow up with local action, firing employees etc as appropriate.

Social Media would only be investigated in so far as many actions might fall short of being criminal, but might still fall under university rules about harassment, discrimination etc.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What do you expect the University to do about off campus crime?

I would more worried if a private business/charity started their own private investigations into off campus crime without any kind of oversight. Leave the police and CPS to do their job.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kkboyk)

As other users have noted this is a university, its hardly within their remit to investigate serious crimes. Indeed, we actually have a dedicated force for such things.. theyre called the popo with their partners in crime the CPS.
Just my opinion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Up next.....suspend the alleged rapist from university because the alleged victim shouldn't be expected to be around him.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (264)
56.65%
I don't have everything I need (202)
43.35%

Watched Threads