The Student Room Group

Too late to change choice?

Hi, and sorry in advance for what is probably a stupid question.

Applying for Law btw.

I have A*AA predictions, but only included one ‘risky’ choice on my UCAS application - Cambridge - and have been rejected. I really regret most of my other choices, and was wondering if it’s absolutely too late to change.

Wish I’d applied to Nottingham or Durham and done the LNAT. Just how badly have I messed up?

Wanted to have a career as a barrister or go into home security, but both careers take people from the top unis and aside from Cam I was extremely safe with my options - even chose two unis I REALLY don’t want to go to.

Not sure if anyone can help here!
I'd say go speak to your PT, form tutor or whoever deals with your wellness in college, or if you have a dedicated UCAS person go to them :smile: And just explain the situation as soon as you can, they may be able to assist you better.

You could look on the UCAS website to see if they have any FAQs about changing your uni choices before the deadline date (sometime next January). Good luck!
Original post by Unstudioustudent
Hi, and sorry in advance for what is probably a stupid question.

Applying for Law btw.

I have A*AA predictions, but only included one ‘risky’ choice on my UCAS application - Cambridge - and have been rejected. I really regret most of my other choices, and was wondering if it’s absolutely too late to change.

Wish I’d applied to Nottingham or Durham and done the LNAT. Just how badly have I messed up?

Wanted to have a career as a barrister or go into home security, but both careers take people from the top unis and aside from Cam I was extremely safe with my options - even chose two unis I REALLY don’t want to go to.

Not sure if anyone can help here!

Which are the two unis you would want to go to, are they decent? If so, I would probably Firm the best uni of my choices, and then attempt to "trade up" in Adjustment. I don't think there is anything you can do now about not having chosen LNAT unis but Bristol don't require the LNAT in Adjustment, so that could be an option if they are in Adjustment again this year?

Would be interested to hear other people's views on this.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by harrysbar
Which are the two unis you would want to go to, are they decent? If so, I would probably Firm the best uni of my choices, and then attempt to "trade up" in Adjustment. I don't think there is anything you can do now about not having chosen LNAT unis but Bristol don't require the LNAT in Adjustment, so that could be an option if they are in Adjustment again this year?

I really wish I’d applied for either Nottingham or Durham - I know they are very competitive, but I wish I hadn’t ruled them out entirely. I’m assuming I am too late to change a choice anyway.

Can I ask what adjustment is?
I really wish I’d applied for either Nottingham or Durham - I know they are very competitive, but I wish I hadn’t ruled them out entirely. I’m assuming I am too late to change a choice anyway.

Can I ask what adjustment is?

You will be too late as you clearly applied more than 14 days ago. You will have the option of using Adjustment from A level results day in order to "trade up" to a more competitive uni. if your Firm choice uni requires AAA (for example) but you achieve A*AA, you can apply to A*AA unis without risking the offer you already have from your Firm choice uni. The complication with Law is the LNAT but I know that Bristol accepted people in Adjustment last year with A*AA who hadn't sat the LNAT.

You wouldn't be able to trade up to Nottingham because they are also asking for AAA and also because they would still only accept people with the LNAT even in Clearing & Adjustment

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/ucas-adjustment-if-youve-done-better-expected
Also just found out I can still book the LNAT in Northern Ireland!?
You will be too late as you clearly applied more than 14 days ago. You will have the option of using Adjustment from A level results day in order to "trade up" to a more competitive uni. if your Firm choice uni requires AAA (for example) but you achieve A*AA, you can apply to A*AA unis without risking the offer you already have from your Firm choice uni. The complication with Law is the LNAT but I know that Bristol accepted people in Adjustment last year with A*AA who hadn't sat the LNAT.

You wouldn't be able to trade up to Nottingham because they are also asking for AAA and also because they would still only accept people with the LNAT even in Clearing & Adjustment

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/ucas-adjustment-if-youve-done-better-expected

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. So if I were to make an AAA uni my firm, do the LNAT, do you think I could possibly apply to Durham (A*AA) through adjustment?
Thanks 😊

I have just booked the LNAT in order to keep options open regarding Adjustment. Have also emailed Durham, just in the off chance...

I would be interested in Durham and Nottingham, although at this point they’re probably not realistic options. Have actually now booked the LNAT - I had registered before the deadline.
I would be interested in Durham and Nottingham, although at this point they’re probably not realistic options. Have actually now booked the LNAT - I had registered before the deadline.

I didn't even know you could sit the LNAT if you're not applying to any LNAT unis but I guess it makes sense in your situation. Don't know if Durham will have any vacancies at all but Nottingham had some Clearing vacancies up until about 10am on A level results day last year for people with AAA and a decent LNAT score. Whether it's worth changing from one AAA uni to another AAA uni is another matter - you have to factor in that it could be problematic getting accomodation on campus if you join last minute, and any uni asking for AAA is going to be of a good standard

Nottingham did insist on it last year in early Clearing apparently (someone on TSR mentioned it) so I'm assuming they would also want it for Adjustment but not 100% sure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending