Can I study a music course with no previous experience? Watch

t grizzly
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi guys I’ve taken a gap year and I want to go to uni to study a music course. The thing is I didn’t do music st GCSE level or A level, I actually did a btec in sports.

I’m extremely passionate about music and want to become a recording artist in pop/rnb/rap music and I record my own songs in my home studio if that helps?

Also if anyone knows anywhere where my chances might be good then that’d be really appreciated!!! Thank you!
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by t grizzly)
Hi guys I’ve taken a gap year and I want to go to uni to study a music course. The thing is I didn’t do music st GCSE level or A level, I actually did a btec in sports.

I’m extremely passionate about music and want to become a recording artist in pop/rnb/rap music and I record my own songs in my home studio if that helps?

Also if anyone knows anywhere where my chances might be good then that’d be really appreciated!!! Thank you!
Frankly, don't do a music degree unless your primary motivation is academic. Get a job or apprenticeship, use your earnings to engage your passion at first as a hobby. Definitely learn an instrument and go through grade exams aiming to get grade 8 in both performance and theory.

Find other like minded people, learn from them. Research the music scene/industry and realise that luck is a massive part of success and for every successful musician able to make a decent living, there are literally thousands who end up on minimum wage or the gig economy.

No-one should destroy your dreams, but do go in with your eyes wide open and definitely have a serious back up plan for an alternative career.
Last edited by uberteknik; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (96)
33.8%
No I don't (132)
46.48%
I work during the holidays (56)
19.72%

Watched Threads