Sjjdjs
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I want to initiate a discussion into the changes the Labour Party want to bring about if they do win the next general election. Labour have stated they’ll do many things like scrapping university fees, and I don’t know if that’ll be a great idea after reading a few things
DonLadTrunpBAE
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Sjjdjs)
I want to initiate a discussion into the changes the Labour Party want to bring about if they do win the next general election. Labour have stated they’ll do many things like scrapping university fees, and I don’t know if that’ll be a great idea after reading a few things
Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff

Free stuff is free which is what all the lazy people want, like people on the dole.
Sjjdjs
Rep:
?
(Original post by DonLadTrunpBAE)
Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff Free stuff

Free stuff is free which is what all the lazy people want, like people on the dole.
Don’t you think making university fees would benefit almost everyone ? I say almost everyone due to the fact that the rich people will benefit even more.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Exceptionally short sighted veiw of the country
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Sjjdjs)
Don’t you think making university fees would benefit almost everyone ? I say almost everyone due to the fact that the rich people will benefit even more.
it will benefit everyone, but it will benefit those who go to university more. Hence why its fair they pay a greater share for that benefit. If you make it 'free' (or better phrased 'tax payer funded') then what you are saying is that those who don't go and benefit less should pay for those that do go to benefit more.

Its a surprisingly unequal policy.. and a very un-working class policy, as what you end up with is working-class people who don't tend to go to university as much, paying for middle-class and upper class kids to go to university to then out-earn the working class individual in the long-run.

But that shouldn't be too surprising given that Labour abandoned the working class a while back.

As for the notion 'maybe it will make more poor people go to uni!' - nope. There is currently no financial barrier to attending university. Anyone who can't afford to go now, won't be afford to go when its 'free'.

---

Also the branding is anyoing. If they replaced 'free' with 'tax-payer funded' in all of their material, it would be a lot more honest.. and they would see how many people really agree with them. People love free tuition fees.. how many tax payers love 'tax payer funded tuition fees'.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Not sure wanting free stuff is exclusive to 'people on the dole' matey.
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Exceptionally short sighted veiw of the country
Abolition of tuition fees?
Sjjdjs
Rep:
?
Who watched the debate yesterday between Jeremy and Boris? Jeremy Corbyn wants to increase corporate tax, and Boris Johnson may sell the NHS to the US. I feel as though if you’re a billionaire you should be paying higher tax to contribute to public services, but the reason for introducing higher tax shouldn’t be because poverty and billionaires coexist. If you’re a billionaire, you must’ve worked hard to some extent for you’re money. However, under Jeremy Corbyn’s coalition government with the DUP, billionaires will be paying a higher tax and already people in the top 1% are evading tax by hiding their money in offshore accounts in Swiss banks. Do billionaires even use the public services provided by the government?
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Not sure wanting free stuff is exclusive to 'people on the dole' matey.

Abolition of tuition fees?
That's a big topic mate, however there are huge benefits to everyone for abolishing tuition fees. Which will become a left vs right debate.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
That's a big topic mate, however there are huge benefits to everyone for abolishing tuition fees. Which will become a left vs right debate.
True although in fairness i do rather take the view that aside from being grossly unfair to the students already saddled with the debts (i mean there isnt a hope in hell ill ever manage to pay off mine unless i win the lotto :lol: ) there is the issue of not being able to afford thanks to Blairs policy of trying to stuff every single person in the country through universities - something that has its own problems on top of costs aha
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
True although in fairness i do rather take the view that aside from being grossly unfair to the students already saddled with the debts (i mean there isnt a hope in hell ill ever manage to pay off mine unless i win the lotto :lol: ) there is the issue of not being able to afford thanks to Blairs policy of trying to stuff every single person in the country through universities - something that has its own problems on top of costs aha
Well I'm certainly more left wing than you are but there is plenty of common ground in your above post. I could talk for a while about the inportance of tax payer funded meaningful education, based on the individual needs/strengths of the candidate/pupil.

Universities don't make successful people, student loans dont make more successful people either. Good teaching, connection with the learners and opportunities make successful people.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Promise almost everything free and pledge to play the games of Robin Hood or Sheriff of Nottingham to finance it.
Then realise that: the sums don't actually add up, other people's money eventually runs out, nationalisation has failed yet again, all cupboards are bare, economic crisis, sky high unemployment, the country is trillions in unsustainable debt and requires an IMF bailout.
Plus criminal justice policy failings and a very shortsighted attitude to national security has placed public safety in grave peril.
The Long Winter Of Discontent II.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (312)
46.09%
No (75)
11.08%
I'm not old enough (290)
42.84%

Watched Threads