The Student Room Group

igcse/gcse latin: your experiences?

i'm considering taking latin as well as english lit & core maths. i'm a distance learner & an older student (just spilling over into the early 20s sdjfks).

i'd like to know your experiences with latin. what did you find challenging? was there a heavy workload & was it manageable? how did you find the exam? did you enjoy it?
I studied OCR GCSE Latin and I actually loved it.
The language and translation part was simply a matter of learning vocab and grammar to be honest. Definitely practise makes perfect but lends itself to those who like the formulaic nature of it. Suited me because I like science and maths so would compliment your maths GCSE.
The other part was a literature section where we had to learn by heart two different Latin texts (we did sections of the Aeneid and a non fiction on the Druids). As I said it’s basically rote learning of the translation as well as learning to analyse techniques.
This would really compliment your English literature gcse!
The exams themselves are quite nice really, there’s plenty of time (I had at least an hour left at the end!) so you can really focus on the quality of your answers.
Good luck with everything, hope this has been helpful!!

Quick Reply

Latest