Mature student for University but not student finance

Watch
HannahRachael
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Can someone explain to me why through universities eyes you are classed as a mature student at 21 years old but in student finance’s eyes you are not mature until you are 25, as I’m slightly annoyed that I am 23 years old and seen as a mature student but even though I live on my own and have done for 2 years student finance do not class me as an independent because I am not 25
L4ur41996
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I’m having the exact same problem! I’m unsure what they mean as to be self supporting for 3 years
Because I’ve been working full time for 3 years now and so have been “self supporting” and paying rent etc but have only lived out of home for 1 year!
It’s so annoying because if I have to put my dads income I’ll get way less finance!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by HannahRachael)
Can someone explain to me why through universities eyes you are classed as a mature student at 21 years old but in student finance’s eyes you are not mature until you are 25, as I’m slightly annoyed that I am 23 years old and seen as a mature student but even though I live on my own and have done for 2 years student finance do not class me as an independent because I am not 25
Lobby your MP if you want change - this is decided by the Government, not by SFE or anyone else.

I agree it's a stupid policy.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by HannahRachael)
Whether a university considers you mature or not is pretty meaningless. Nothing depends on it. Clearly you arent actually mature at 21 and its only a method used to distinguish people who are applying other than immediately after leaving school. Feel free to point out what its significance is for universities.

In contrast for SFE it costs them money and 25 is the benchmark as set by the government. There are exceptions to this rule, but you have not been independent for long enough. Wait another year.
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
It's difficult.
An age has to be set for it.

If not then people can just move out of their parents house and claim for a full maintenance loan.

Another example is if they change it to 21 then they create an incentive to wait 3 years before going to university.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (190)
14.23%
I'm not sure (59)
4.42%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (392)
29.36%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.77%
I'm not a current university student (657)
49.21%

Watched Threads