The Student Room Group

mitosis or meiosis

When a fertilised egg undergoes cell division, is this mitosis or meiosis?
Reply 1
Original post by aliciadsmiths

To produce the fertilised egg, it is meiosis. But when it undergoes cell division, it's mitosis- the diploid zygote undergoes mitosis to form many embryos
Just rememeber it like this , my biology teacher used to say for the exam :
miTOsis - happens in my TOES and everywhere
MeiOSis- happens in my OVARIES and sexual organs
Weird but when u say it it makes sense
Original post by Exdoz
To produce the fertilised egg, it is meiosis. But when it undergoes cell division, it's mitosis- the diploid zygote undergoes mitosis to form many embryos

There's only one embryo :smile:
Original post by aliciadsmiths

Mitosis - this is how an organism grows. Meiosis is only involved in the formation of gametes.
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check

Mitosis - this is how an organism grows. Meiosis is only involved in the formation of gametes.

Wait, so when the diploid zygote splits, does it not split into many embryos? Therefore, when there is more than one embryo, more can be placed into the uterus of a surrogate mother- increasing chances of it developing into a baby.
Reply 5

Am I not going to get a response? Maybe I'm right :smile:
Reply 6
Do you think the only thing I have to do today is reply to your wrong science?

No. You're not right - remotely :laugh: An 'embryo' (singular') is the stage of development from a zygote until about 9 weeks of development (in humans, anyway).

The only plural 'embryos' would be where there were twins or more. You're horribly confused with your terminology.

No I'm not horribly confused with my terminology. Instead of mocking and laughing at me, you could have responded in a more thoughtful manner.
Have some class mate. The fact I didn't get no reply, I inferred what I said was correct. You could have corrected my "wrong science"- afterall you are the "Reality check" huh? Yes I got confused because after implanting more than one uterus into the surrogate mother, I thought the embryo divided, but no, 2 separate embryos would have been implanted into the uterus. Take this as a lesson :smile:
Weirdos
Original post by Alina2019
Weirdos

:rofl:
Reply 9
Get over yourself, child.

Hahaha :biggrin: :biggrin:

The weaker person always snaps first :wink:
Don't worry you should be good.
Thank you all to those who answered. :smile:
Original post by Alina2019