The Student Room Group

Need urgent help on my UCAS application

Tl;dr at the end.

So I completed my a levels this year. I achieved BBC and I got into a Russell group university through clearing after missing my firm choice. Now that I’m at this university I’m really hating it and I wish I never came. I’m planning on dropping out in January. Now here’s my dilemma. I have already started my UCAS application with a reference from a former school teacher. I’ve spoken to the university of Surrey and they said they would consider me despite being one grade below the entry requirements. Surrey is a very good university I understand that but I feel like I should try and get higher in my a levels.

Two sides of the argument:

Applying with current grades
Pros:
1) could get unconditional offers from Surrey UEA Nottingham Trent this would allow me to work full time and save up money to travel Anna support myself.
2) could potentially apply through clearing come August ( is this possible as I achieved my grades the previous year)
Cons
: 1) May not get any offers due to low a levels.
RETAKING:
Pros:
1) May allow me to apply to more prestigious unis.
2) May help with graduate jobs
Cons:
1) Time consuming
2) risk of getting lower grades.
3) have I left revision to late?
4) may have to retake the C which I really hate.
TL;dr retake or apply?
Don't know if this really answers your question but if there is one thing I've understood from talking to a ginormous amount of people and teachers, its that reputation of a university is hugely important. At the end of the day, the reputation is what will (or wont) get your CV considered once a company has received it. Im in a similar situation but on a "different level". I put loughborough uni as a firm choice, and ended up with better results that expected. So i decided to take a gap year, and apply to imperial for engineering. Did that because of the reputation of Imperial in the field of engineering. EVERYONE knows it in the UK. So tbh, I'd take whatever choice gives me the best chance of securing a job once my studies are over. 1 year that you might think is "going to waste" is worth "sacrificing" compared to the long lives we live. Hope it helps...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending