Help!!! Science or humanities a levels? Watch

Aliziyayy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So, I was planning to take English lit, history and chemistry a level but after asking my teachers, I've completely changed my mind. My English teacher told me that I should should just pick all humanities instead of chemistry as well as I'll find chemistry really hard without doing maths or another science. My chemistry teacher told me the same thing and said that I should pick another science as this will link in with my chemistry, and that i probably shouldn't pick a humanity subject with that as it will be completely different to what I am learning in chemistry and will waste time. As a person who doesn't know what to do as a future career and wants to keep as many doors open as possible, which pathway would be best to take?
milliewastestime
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You need 2 or 3 sciences to do a sciencey degree at most unis but only 1 essay subject to do a humanities degree so I’d personally go with the that - I think it’s a nice middle ground that lets you learn in both areas and allows you to apply to courses in both areas. I’ve got a friend who’s doing bio, chem and french and hes got an interview for medicine. I’ve got 1 friend doing bio, chem and English lit and she’s got an interview for a biotechnology course at Leeds - another 2 doing this option will also be applying for medicine next year so it’s very possible to keep 1 humanity if that’s what you want to do. It’s probably the best option to open more doors in terms of career prospects but I think it’s more important to do what you love. I really disagree with your chem teacher that doing a humanity alongside sciences would be a waste; learning about something that interests you isn’t a waste at all.
Aliziyayy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by milliewastestime)
You need 2 or 3 sciences to do a sciencey degree at most unis but only 1 essay subject to do a humanities degree so I’d personally go with the that - I think it’s a nice middle ground that lets you learn in both areas and allows you to apply to courses in both areas. I’ve got a friend who’s doing bio, chem and french and hes got an interview for medicine. I’ve got 1 friend doing bio, chem and English lit and she’s got an interview for a biotechnology course at Leeds - another 2 doing this option will also be applying for medicine next year so it’s very possible to keep 1 humanity if that’s what you want to do. It’s probably the best option to open more doors in terms of career prospects but I think it’s more important to do what you love. I really disagree with your chem teacher that doing a humanity alongside sciences would be a waste; learning about something that interests you isn’t a waste at all.
OK, ty x
Lydia.Mx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Aliziyayy)
So, I was planning to take English lit, history and chemistry a level but after asking my teachers, I've completely changed my mind. My English teacher told me that I should should just pick all humanities instead of chemistry as well as I'll find chemistry really hard without doing maths or another science. My chemistry teacher told me the same thing and said that I should pick another science as this will link in with my chemistry, and that i probably shouldn't pick a humanity subject with that as it will be completely different to what I am learning in chemistry and will waste time. As a person who doesn't know what to do as a future career and wants to keep as many doors open as possible, which pathway would be best to take?
Someone in my year group is doing these exact A-levels, I think she wants to do history at university, but it shows how it is possible and actually the subjects can go well with one another. I do chemistry, biology and geography at A-level and honestly I don't think you will find it too hard doing a science on its own without another science as to be honest they don't really link together that much. Chemistry doesn't have that much maths in it either. I got a 5 at GCSE and am finding the maths okay, some of its hard (more application questions involving maths than anything) but most of it is just basics such as rearranging calculations, putting numbers into equations, percentages, conversions etc... so I think you would be fine not doing maths. The only thing I can think of that may be an issue is if you wanted to do medicine at university as these courses often want two sciences or two stem subjects. Just have a look at some university courses for things you might be interested in doing and have a look what subjects they ask for. Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• De Montfort University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Undergraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Regent's University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (87)
18.91%
Labour (226)
49.13%
Liberal Democrats (61)
13.26%
Green Party (28)
6.09%
Brexit Party (6)
1.3%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.65%
SNP (10)
2.17%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.65%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.3%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (2)