aditya kalra
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
What if time did not exist? how would you feel? what would you experience? what would happen?????
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by aditya kalra)
What if time did not exist? how would you feel? what would you experience? what would happen?????
What are you talking about?

Are you referring to the artificial measurement of time (i.e. SI units of seconds)?

- if this didn't exist, it wouldn't really matter;
- humans have worked without an accurate measurement of time for centuries before the standardisation of time measurement world-wide;
- it used to be just "work from dawn", "rest at dusk" for hundreds of thousands of years.

Or the space-time continuum of time (4th dimension)?

- if this doesn't exist, then you wouldn't either;
- end of story (think you being in a black hole)

Or the perception of movement of time as experienced by your body (i.e. your brain)?

- there are some very interesting brain conditions which could lead to you thinking time hasn't passed;
- for example, patients suffering from anterograde amnesia are unable to form new memory therefore they are sort of "stuck" in time. H.M. is a famous example, who kept thinking it was the 1950s even all the way until his death in the 2000s.

I have plenty more examples, but have to go back to work :ciao:

I am overthinking your question so much
Last edited by ecolier; 3 weeks ago
aditya kalra
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
What are you talking about?

Are you referring to the artificial measurement of time (i.e. SI units of seconds / minutes / hours) ?

Or the space-time continuum of time (4th dimension)?

Or the perception of movement of time as experienced by your body (i.e. your brain)?
The perception of movement of time as experienced by your body and the artificial measurement of time (i.e. SI units of seconds / minutes / hours). Basically imagine, in the world where time did not exist, what would you experience? [ like immortality ]
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Time travellers would be nada :noway:
ForestShadow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Chronoscope)
Time travellers would be nada :noway:
rip doctor who and back to the future :cry:

also this thread reminded me of this awesome X Men scene from 42 seconds into the video

Last edited by ForestShadow; 3 weeks ago
Glaz
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
i would have more time to do my homework
aditya kalra
Rep:
?
(Original post by ForestShadow)
rip doctor who and back to the future :cry:

also this thread reminded me of this awesome scene from 42 seconds into the video

This is time stopping
ForestShadow
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This is time stopping
technically he has supersonic speeds : his speed allows him to move faster than a normal human mind can even perceive, His speed is so immense that seconds after the initial explosion of the X-Mansion, he was able to effectively save the dozens of inhabitants inside, before the explosion reached peak combustion, at a speed of 2,748,235 MPH (Mach 3,581)
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
... Basically imagine, in the world where time did not exist, what would you experience? [ like immortality ]
Of course this (immortality) wouldn't happen. There are only two things that are certain - and even tax didn't really exist before proper civilisations.

If there was no time; people would still die - they will still grow old; they may think they have survived 20 / 30 Summers and Winters; rather than "years" that we think of. (think prehistoric cavemen)

This is assuming you are still based on Earth - it would be different on other planets / star systems.
MadMaths
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If time did not exist we would be in eternity which is the same as before we were born and after we die
Last edited by MadMaths; 3 weeks ago
MadMaths
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Of course this (immortality) wouldn't happen. There are only two things that are certain - and even tax didn't really exist before proper civilisations.

If there was no time; people would still die - they will still grow old; they may think they have survived 20 / 30 Summers and Winters; rather than "years" that we think of. (think prehistoric cavemen)

This is assuming you are still based on Earth - it would be different on other planets / star systems.
Sorry but I belive you are incorrect, Einstein showed time dilation in his theory therefore he states that if a person travels at the speed of light their clock slows down therfore their ageing process, having no time implies no aging, therfore immortality
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (368)
44.39%
No (87)
10.49%
I'm not old enough (374)
45.11%

Watched Threads