The Student Room Group

Is job hunting a very slow progress? I seek guidance

So my situation is that ive recently finished my postgraduate degree and now im looking for graduate jobs, but the process is just so taxing i can spend on average 2-3 days on just a single application, this is taking into account, tailoring CV and supporting statements based on person specification or cover letter, it just seems very fustrating because i ideally want to do 2 job applications per day, but its just not happening, its like so much needs to go into the quality and detail for instance grammar, spelling, etc, because it seems there is such a high demand and it is so competitive and i just want things to be more streamlined, additionally before anyone judges and assumes im not putting in the hours, i am, putting in roughly 3 hours of efficiency, so what must i do, is there a way to speed things up, because im sick of this long process and i jusr want to find a way to speed up the process for a job, HELP!!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Abdiquani
So my situation is that ive recently finished my postgraduate degree and now im looking for graduate jobs, but the process is just so taxing i can spend on average 2-3 days on just a single application, this is taking into account, tailoring CV and supporting statements based on person specification or cover letter, it just seems very fustrating because i ideally want to do 2 job applications per day, but its just not happening, its like so much needs to go into the quality and detail for instance grammar, spelling, etc, because it seems there is such a high demand and it is so competitive and i just want things to be more streamlined, additionally before anyone judges and assumes im not putting in the hours, i am, putting in roughly 3 hours of efficiency, so what must i do, is there a way to speed things up, because im sick of this long process and i jusr want to find a way to speed up the process for a job, HELP!!

Unless the jobs are in radically different fields and have very different personal specs, you should be able to have a base supporting statement, and edit that to suit each job, rather than starting from scratch each time. If you're doing application forms, have a master document for that, too, as it will save time!

The more applications you do, the quicker it will get- it will still be time consuming, but it shouldn't take days!

Try not to be a perfectionist, as well- whilst obviously you want perfect spelling/grammar etc, don't agonize over how to phrase each sentence!

Have you had someone read through any of your applications, and are they able to offer any advice?
Reply 2
Thank you for your response, you provided me with some useful tips, which I'm sure will come in handy for the future, in terms of application checks, i have recently gone to my careers advisor to seek advice from them, where they recommended me to improve my grammar as there was too many long sentences, otherwise i have a friend who can help.

Original post by SarcAndSpark
Unless the jobs are in radically different fields and have very different personal specs, you should be able to have a base supporting statement, and edit that to suit each job, rather than starting from scratch each time. If you're doing application forms, have a master document for that, too, as it will save time!

The more applications you do, the quicker it will get- it will still be time consuming, but it shouldn't take days!

Try not to be a perfectionist, as well- whilst obviously you want perfect spelling/grammar etc, don't agonize over how to phrase each sentence!

Have you had someone read through any of your applications, and are they able to offer any advice?

Thank you for your response, you provided me with some useful tips, which I'm sure will come in handy for the future, in terms of application checks, i have recently gone to my careers advisor to seek advice from them, where they recommended me to improve my grammar as there was too many long sentences, otherwise i have a friend who can help.

Definitely keeping things concise is a good tip- for most application forms, you can bullet point e.g. your main duties in a previous job. In a supporting statement, you can't do this so much. However, for clarity, a good rule of thumb is that anything over 30 words can often get confusing/hard to read.
Reply 4
Definitely keeping things concise is a good tip- for most application forms, you can bullet point e.g. your main duties in a previous job. In a supporting statement, you can't do this so much. However, for clarity, a good rule of thumb is that anything over 30 words can often get confusing/hard to read.

I also just wanted to clarify something in regards to supporting statements, do yoy include and intro or just skip to the person specification and list your tranferable skills and experience underneath there?
I also just wanted to clarify something in regards to supporting statements, do yoy include and intro or just skip to the person specification and list your tranferable skills and experience underneath there?

You shouldn't just list soft skills/transferable skills. Anyone can say they are a team player. It is much better to give specific examples of what you have done and the results you have achieved. Your supporting statement should also usually express some desire/enthusiasm to work for that specific company e.g. how do your personal values match their ethos as an organisation?
Reply 6
You shouldn't just list soft skills/transferable skills. Anyone can say they are a team player. It is much better to give specific examples of what you have done and the results you have achieved. Your supporting statement should also usually express some desire/enthusiasm to work for that specific company e.g. how do your personal values match their ethos as an organisation?

OK thank you man, you have helped me more than i could have imagined, i just wanted to ask, when we express the desire and enthusiasm to work for that specific company, would we include this in the introduction? or right at the end when we have listed all our transferable skills relevant to the person specification.
OK thank you man, you have helped me more than i could have imagined, i just wanted to ask, when we express the desire and enthusiasm to work for that specific company, would we include this in the introduction? or right at the end when we have listed all our transferable skills relevant to the person specification.

I think the introduction is a good place to raise this- in general, your introduction should be aiming to answer the question "why do I want this job?". The rest of the supporting statement/cover letter should deal with "why would I be a good fit for this job?". This may vary a bit from industry to industry, but lots of employers will expect to see enthusiasm for their company specifically, rather than just the job- so showing this early on will usually work in your favour.

Many employers will have a sort of "mission statement" on their website, which can help you explain why you would want to work for them.
Between November last year when I was in my final year to now, I have made probably 60 -100 applications (some duplicates for different years), mostly for graduate schemes but a few for just normal jobs in shops.

I have had two assessment centres and a few telephone interviews.

No offers. No feedback on my performance. No idea what is going wrong.

I am currently waiting to hear back from twenty companies but only expect maybe five of those to actually bother to respond to me.

Slow going? Just a bit.
Original post by acelenny

Then you are going majorly wrong in your applications. I suggest you open a thread in CV Help and get some advice on CV writing, covering letters and making applications.
Original post by threeportdrift
Then you are going majorly wrong in your applications. I suggest you open a thread in CV Help and get some advice on CV writing, covering letters and making applications.

Had it look over by carrers at University, by parents with successful careers, and others. no major issues. The CV ion terms of how it is written is not the issue. Content probably contribtes but I have nothing else to add there.

I know that something needs changing but as I recieve no feedback from companies, I do not know what I need to change.
Had it look over by carrers at University, by parents with successful careers, and others. no major issues. The CV ion terms of how it is written is not the issue. Content probably contribtes but I have nothing else to add there.

I know that something needs changing but as I recieve no feedback from companies, I do not know what I need to change.

I'm sorry, but they are wrong. Either your CV isn't effective, or you are applying for jobs you don't have the skills to do. Let's presume you aren't an idiot and that you are applying for jobs you do have the skills to do, then your CV is the problem. It has to be, it's the only thing the employer has in order to decide whether to invite you to interview or not (by CV I mean CV and covering letter or applications form). If you aren't getting those interviews, it's because your application isn't doing it's job.
I'm sorry, but they are wrong. Either your CV isn't effective, or you are applying for jobs you don't have the skills to do. Let's presume you aren't an idiot and that you are applying for jobs you do have the skills to do, then your CV is the problem. It has to be, it's the only thing the employer has in order to decide whether to invite you to interview or not (by CV I mean CV and covering letter or applications form). If you aren't getting those interviews, it's because your application isn't doing it's job.

Have you done an application recently? Here are things they can go on:
1) CV
2) Psychometic and Mathematical tests.
3) Video interview.
4) Telephone interview.
5) Cover letter.
6) Other questions or tests you may have filled out for them.
7) How you compare to other applicants.

Clearly, my CV is not the only thing that they base their assumptions on. Recently for example, I was rejected for a position which did not ask me to submit a CV. I had a telephone interview and was then rejected with no feedback. I therefore do not know which part of my application/telephone interview cause me to be rejected. I can however, categorically state that my CV was not a factor.

Sure, but 1 and 5 are the same thing. Companies rarely do 2, 3, 4 and 6 without having seen a CV or application form first. A competitive cv/application is what puts you at the top of the candidate list (7)!

You've also not made it to this stage nearly often enough for the number of applications you've made. If your initial application is even half decent, then out of 100 applications you should have got about 20 interviews.
Sure, but 1 and 5 are the same thing. Companies rarely do 2, 3, 4 and 6 without having seen a CV or application form first. A competitive cv/application is what puts you at the top of the candidate list (7)!

You've also not made it to this stage nearly often enough for the number of applications you've made. If your initial application is even half decent, then out of 100 applications you should have got about 20 interviews.

Again, have you applied to a scheme recently? I do not mean to be insulting but I am wondering. If so, this may simply be a feature of the different sorts of jobs we are going for.

Most companies do 2 and 3 without even having someone look at your application. Cover letter and CV are not the same if you are doing it correctly. Most companies get you do answer extra questions alongside your CV and CL and they consider them together.

I am waiting to see whether I will be invited to an AC by HSBC. No one looked at my application until months after I had completed both tests and a video interview and so it is only now that my CV is being considered by them.
(edited 4 years ago)

No, that's fine, seek guidance but don't accept it when it doesn't fit your world view.
No, that's fine, seek guidance but don't accept it when it doesn't fit your world view.

Oh be quiet. I am saying that what you are suggesting does not apply to the application experience I am having in terms of requirements and information I have to submit and that it is therefore not correct for me. I get through phases where the only thing they consider is the CV in isolation. Where I fail is where everything is considered together.
Reply 17
It doesn't get easier. It is very time consuming, boring and the only advice really is to keep going. Eventually, nothing you do will make a significant difference. At this point, the majority of the time, it comes down to luck, i.e. doing very well on the tests, getting questions you prepared for, and answering questions in application forms "why do you want to work here" in a way that doesn't look totally fake to the member of staff, which is nearly impossible. By applying to a sheer number of places, after having reached this point, you'll find somewhere... at least you hope you will.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending