The Student Room Group

Why is it Acceptable in the UK to be Drunk in Public?

I'm talking drunk to the point of making an embarrassment of yourself btw.

Was just carrying my shopping home when a group of older men and women (at least in their 50s) walking behind me started verbally abusing me. I gave as good as I got but you could tell they weren't thinking right. The women were tottering around in sky high heels and mini dresses and nearly got run over crossing the road behind me. The men also started whinging at me to "carry on" when I asked them what their problem was. The instant I challenged them they were all "goodbye" and it was one of me and a bunch of them :lol:

I don't mean to be classist but these people were not what you call "chavs." They were just your average person, maybe not "middle class" per se though. I live up North (in Newcastle) and see a lot of this. Where I'm from in Europe, I'm sorry but sights like this are not common.

Why do even people old enough to be people's mothers, fathers etc. get drunk to this point in public? It's an embarrassment :rofl:
(edited 4 years ago)
Okay, This is the best joke ever... can we be friends?
Original post by MissBeckyx
I'm talking drunk to the point of making an embarrassment of yourself btw.

Was just carrying my shopping home when a group of older men and women (at least in their 50s) walking behind me started verbally abusing me. I gave as good as I got but you could tell they weren't thinking right. The women were tottering around in sky high heels and mini dresses and nearly got run over crossing the road behind me. The men also started whinging at me to "carry on" when I asked them what their problem was. The instant I challenged them they were all "goodbye" and it was one of me and a bunch of them :lol:

I don't mean to be classist but these people were not what you call "chavs." They were just your average person, maybe not "middle class" per se though. I live up North (in Newcastle) and see a lot of this. Where I'm from in Europe, I'm sorry but sights like this are not common.

Why do even people old enough to be people's mothers, fathers etc. get drunk to this point in public? It's an embarrassment :rofl:

I bet they didn't have coats on either, did they?
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
I bet they didn't have coats on either, did they?

The women didn't. :lol: It sounds really bad but the women looked like the older versions of those drunk girls the Daily Mail likes to post pictures of on big holidays. They could barely walk.

When I turned around to challenge them, the shortest guy said "It's nothing, carry on!" and they all shut up immediately. Then, the instant I turned around, they started praising him for being an "alpha male" till I turned around again and told them how pathetic they were being. :rofl: :facepalm:
The women didn't. :lol: It sounds really bad but the women looked like the older versions of those drunk girls the Daily Mail likes to post pictures of on big holidays. They could barely walk.

When I turned around to challenge them, the shortest guy said "It's nothing, carry on!" and they all shut up immediately. Then, the instant I turned around, they started praising him for being an "alpha male" till I turned around again and told them how pathetic they were being. :rofl: :facepalm:

:lol: - it's a Newcastle thing, the lack of coats.

I know - it's so embarrassing that people behave like this.
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check
:lol: - it's a Newcastle thing, the lack of coats.

I know - it's so embarrassing that people behave like this.

Why Newcastle specifically? :lol:

I pitied them a bit TBH. Grown adults older than my parents acting like that, I've seen fellow uni students behave better when drunk :eyebrow:
Why Newcastle specifically? :lol:

I pitied them a bit TBH. Grown adults older than my parents acting like that, I've seen fellow uni students behave better when drunk :eyebrow:

In my experience people late 40s to their late 50s do drink and swore more than other age groups. I went on a camping weekend with a walking group and language and drinking was disgusting. Now I in a walking group people my age I never hear bad language.
Reply 7
Original post by looloo2134
In my experience people late 40s to their late 50s do drink and swore more than other age groups. I went on a camping weekend with a walking group and language and drinking was disgusting. Now I in a walking group people my age I never hear bad language.

I'm not ageist but I don't see why people always say young people are rude. Of course lots of us are, but a lot of times it's the 40-60 age group.
I'm not ageist but I don't see why people always say young people are rude. Of course lots of us are, but a lot of times it's the 40-60 age group.

Every genaration thinks the older/young genaration rude/worst than they are but their just as bad as each other but in different ways.
It's the boomers. They're the most privelaged and entitled silver spoon generation lel.
(edited 4 years ago)
Well that's kinda the thing, I don't feel being that level of drunk in public IS really considered acceptable. Most people will actively avoid and shun you and it's basically a kind of grey area whether you can be arrested for it.

I would call folk like the OP describes Jakies, as opposed to chavs, the difference is the complete lack of shame or awareness.
Some people just have no self-control, a few drinks turns into many and before you know it you're tripping over your own ankles.

It honestly doesn't bother me too much, it's themselves they're embarrassing, not me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending