idonthaveaname12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Im struggling with Question 5. With a description its relatively ok to begin but as i progress i begin to lose ideas on what to write without repeating myself. I always plan descriptions however it begins to sound boring and lacklustre. With a narrative/story its difficult to write one without too much action and making it complicated, also its difficult to follow the story structure of beginning,climax and ending especially without a clear idea on what to write about and making it a normal sized story. If anyone had suggestions such how to revise these areas (or how they did it it) it would be greatly appreciated. Also i would like if anyone could recommend any descriptive books to read for inspiration. Thank You
Last edited by idonthaveaname12; 3 weeks ago
Riyeria
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Honestly, I know you have heard it a thousand times, but you need to plan.
Not plan every word you are going to say but have a rough outline of what you say next so you don't reach the end of your story in with 20 mins left to go. Pick random topics and rather than writing out a creative piece, just plan it so you get into the habit of thinking of ideas quickly
Gilwern
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I would definitely recommend writing a description rather than a story. Students who try and write stories get flustered trying to develop a coherent beginning, middle and end. Students who focus on description tend to do better.

Some things you could do in your work:

- give an overview of the scene
- describe some key items in detail
- describe a person in detail
- describe any sounds and smells
- describe any memories that are conjured up
- describe any feelings and thoughts

And yes, as the above poster suggested: plan!
Davy611
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You might find this interesting and useful:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.c...structure/amp/
idonthaveaname12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Riyeria)
Honestly, I know you have heard it a thousand times, but you need to plan.
Not plan every word you are going to say but have a rough outline of what you say next so you don't reach the end of your story in with 20 mins left to go. Pick random topics and rather than writing out a creative piece, just plan it so you get into the habit of thinking of ideas quickly
How would one go about planning. i feel very much under pressure and stressed when planning the ideas do not flow to me as easily. I try not to repeat anything i previously mentioned however, ideas to write about begin dissolve quickly. I want to also improve my vocabulary but i have no idea where to start. If anyone has any suggestion on how they may have improved vocabulary and descriptive skill please comment.
Vicki182
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
a simple plan that you can elaborate on would be to start with describing a setting, and then introduce a character. after, describe an event that takes place but don't make it too major. the smaller the action it is the easier it is to elaborate and show off your writing skills. then the final stage would be to link back to the setting. it's quite effective as you can easily outline what has happened in your story.
idonthaveaname12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by idonthaveaname12)
Im struggling with Question 5. With a description its relatively ok to begin but as i progress i begin to lose ideas on what to write without repeating myself. I always plan descriptions however it begins to sound boring and lacklustre. With a narrative/story its difficult to write one without too much action and making it complicated, also its difficult to follow the story structure of beginning,climax and ending especially without a clear idea on what to write about and making it a normal sized story. If anyone had suggestions such how to revise these areas (or how they did it it) it would be greatly appreciated. Also i would like if anyone could recommend any descriptive books to read for inspiration. Thank You
Does anyone have an example of a story they had written when they sat their exams
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day โ€“ GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20

Do you work while at uni?