The Student Room Group

M3 Further Dynamics Question

Please help with the following question. I have included a photo of the question and a photo of my working out.

The answer to the question is marked in red, and my incorrect answer is just above it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Mista Dobalina
Please help with the following question. I have included a photo of the question and a photo of my working out.

The answer to the question is marked in red, and my incorrect answer is just above it.

Early on you put 66=mdvdt66=m\frac{dv}{dt}

On the LHS you have the force at x=20, but in your next step you proceed to integrate it as if it is a constant. It's not, force is a function of x, which is a function of t.

If you go back to your first result, you have v2=...v^2=.... If you rearrange into v=, (i.e. dx/dt=) and then integrate,.... Note: v^2 is twice a perfect square.
(edited 4 years ago)
Apologies for late reply. Coronavirus has given me the time to look back at this question, I'll take a second stab at it.
I finally got round to actually doing this question. Thank you for your original response.
This is some next level procrastination. I love it,
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by RDKGames
This is some next level procrastination. I love it,

Cheers, I'm currently (books are open in front of me as I type this message) trying to self teach MEI - FP3 - Multivariable calculus, I've done Edexcel C1-4, FP1-3, M1-5 - but this multivariable stuff is the hardest maths I have done yet - if you have any pointers regarding learning resources, please do share!

Quick Reply

Latest