philipsno2
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi

Like most people I have aspirations to go to a top business school straight after undergrad ie LSE, Imperial, Warwick (LBS out due to the 2 year work experience rule). After these 3 I would be really interested to get the opinions about other schools. I suspect that people would suggest UCL & Cass as 4 & 5 on my list (maybe not) but after this what are your thoughts.

The main reason I ask is that I will do the GMAT and they ask for 5 schools you want the results to go to.

My profile:

Top 10 UK uni ( non Russell group ) Finance.

A level A A A* maths economics business studies

year 1 87.6 transcript ( year 2 similar if not a shade below expected)

Summer School 2019 LSE alternative investments grade A

Tier 2 asset management intern London 2019

Various London insight days EY, BlackRock, Reuters.

Vice president university real money investment fund.

Hopeful for a summer 2020 intern prior to Oct 2020 Msc application.

Opinions on my profile would be appreciated. I suppose I am just trying to find the best finance Msc should I be unsuccessfully in the hyper competitive world which is LSE, Imperial or Warwick. Opinions on non top 5 Russell Group institutions would be really helpful as I would definitely want a Russell group.

If I am seeing the world incorrectly through my eyes please feel free to pass any constructive criticism or advice.

Thanks in advance.
Hakz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Surprised there's been no response yet to the above.

I'll try my best to help out as much as possible.

Apart from the usual suspects which are known as the Tier 1 targets (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial & Warwick), there are several other unis worth considering. I'd group them as Tier 2 and they are occasionally targeted by the big players.

Several examples are Durham, Bath, Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester, St Andrews, Edinburgh, York, Exeter, KCL. To a lesser extent, we have Birmingham, Southampton, Sheffield.

Infact the ones that frequently appears consistently are:

Oxbridge
LSE
UCL
Imperial
Warwick
Durham
Bristol
Bath
Nottingham
Exeter
St Andrews
Manchester

Good luck with your application. I'm hoping to start MSc Finance myself at either Bristol or Nottingham in 2020. The London universities are just too expensive.
Last edited by Hakz; 3 months ago
smegmaz
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Hakz)
Surprised there's been no response yet to the above.

I'll try my best to help out as much as possible.

Apart from the usual suspects which are known as the Tier 1 targets (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial & Warwick), there are several other unis worth considering. I'd group them as Tier 2 and they are occasionally targeted by the big players.

Several examples are Durham, Bath, Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester, St Andrews, Edinburgh, York, Exeter, KCL. To a lesser extent, we have Birmingham, Southampton, Sheffield.

Infact the ones that frequently appears consistently are:

Oxbridge
LSE
UCL
Imperial
Warwick
Durham
Bristol
Bath
Nottingham
Exeter
St Andrews
Manchester

Good luck with your application. I'm hoping to start MSc Finance myself at either Bristol or Nottingham in 2020. The London universities are just too expensive.
Hey, thanks for the list! I am considering applying to UCL but I was not able to find their ranking online. Is it really a school worth attending to pursue a MSc in Finance? I am aiming for a job in IB after graduation (probably back in Singapore, if I fail to land a gig in London).
Hakz
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by smegmaz)
Hey, thanks for the list! I am considering applying to UCL but I was not able to find their ranking online. Is it really a school worth attending to pursue a MSc in Finance? I am aiming for a job in IB after graduation (probably back in Singapore, if I fail to land a gig in London).
In addition to my last post, UCL is probably the highest rated university after Oxford and Cambridge according to most of the international rankings.

Please see the below links
https://www.timeshighereducation.com...asc/cols/stats
https://www.topuniversities.com/univ...-rankings/2020

UCL has a great reputation within the UK and abroad so you are in a great position. Good luck with your applications.
smegmaz
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Hakz)
In addition to my last post, UCL is probably the highest rated university after Oxford and Cambridge according to most of the international rankings.

Please see the below links
https://www.timeshighereducation.com...asc/cols/stats
https://www.topuniversities.com/univ...-rankings/2020

UCL has a great reputation within the UK and abroad so you are in a great position. Good luck with your applications.
thanks for taking the time to share this with me, really appreciate it! Yes I can see that UCL as a whole has a pretty good global ranking. Although my concern is whether its MSc Finance is well recognized enough (to achieve a positive ROI on my investment). Any thoughts on this?
Hakz
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by smegmaz)
thanks for taking the time to share this with me, really appreciate it! Yes I can see that UCL as a whole has a pretty good global ranking. Although my concern is whether its MSc Finance is well recognized enough (to achieve a positive ROI on my investment). Any thoughts on this?
I wouldn't worry too much about the particular program itself. There are lots of good universities offering the MSc Finance program. I'd be more worried about the modules on offer as well as the structure of the program. For example, some of the programs are CFA accredited so if you're hoping to do the CFA qualification then this could be beneficial. Some even offer exemptions for other professional qualifications like CISI, ACT or CIMA depending on the modules you opt for.

How mathematical do you want the program to be? For example, at Imperial, the course is extremely quantitative and demanding while it's a little bit manageable at LSE. It's also a lot harder to gain admission to LSE compared to the others.

You simply can't go wrong with Oxbridge, Warwick, Imperial, LSE, UCL as well as Cass. Have you had a look at Cass? It's in London and their business school is excellent.
smegmaz
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Hakz)
I wouldn't worry too much about the particular program itself. There are lots of good universities offering the MSc Finance program. I'd be more worried about the modules on offer as well as the structure of the program. For example, some of the programs are CFA accredited so if you're hoping to do the CFA qualification then this could be beneficial. Some even offer exemptions for other professional qualifications like CISI, ACT or CIMA depending on the modules you opt for.

How mathematical do you want the program to be? For example, at Imperial, the course is extremely quantitative and demanding while it's a little bit manageable at LSE. It's also a lot harder to gain admission to LSE compared to the others.

You simply can't go wrong with Oxbridge, Warwick, Imperial, LSE, UCL as well as Cass. Have you had a look at Cass? It's in London and their business school is excellent.
I see. I haven't had a look at Cass yet because I was looking to apply to tier 1 target universities. Thanks for your input! I'll probably give UCL a shot on top of my other applications.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (196)
60.31%
No (71)
21.85%
Not sure (58)
17.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed