The Student Room Group

ATP

Hello, I learned in GCSE that breaking a bond is an endothermic process, however I also learned that in photosynthesis, the energy released from the electron transfer chain is used to form ATP from ADP and Pi which is essentially forming a bond. This contradicts what I said at the beginning right?
Reply 1
endothermic isn't the right term to describe the breakdown of ATP. this reaction is called exergonic (energy is released to the surroundings and the bonds being formed are stronger than the bonds being broken). the opposite of this reaction (ADP+Pi to ATP) is endergonic (energy is absorbed from the surroundings and the bonds being formed are weaker than the bonds being broken). hope it helped
Reply 2
So not all bond formation is exothermic as we were taught at GCSE level?
Reply 3
Original post by mani93786
So not all bond formation is exothermic as we were taught at GCSE level?

well the thing is hydrolysis of atp doesnt follow the chemitry rules on endo and exothermic reactions so they just decided to give the reactions new names cos why not.

is this for a level biology?
We literally learnt that today too - I was wondering the same thing
Reply 5
im in yr 12 and doing a level biology as well and my chemistry teacher said that most of the stuff you learn in gcse chemistry is practically a lie
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Yes we did that in photosynthesis.
Reply 7
Original post by xsowmix
well the thing is hydrolysis of atp doesnt follow the chemitry rules on endo and exothermic reactions so they just decided to give the reactions new names cos why not.

is this for a level biology?

Are you sure about that or is this a guess?
Reply 8
i just quoting what my chemistry teacher said because she also teaches a level biology so idk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending