Ss42
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, can anyone give me advice? My daughter had just been kicked out of her 3yr child nursing course at uni for failing a paper again on her second attempt. I can't believe it's this strict. Does anyone have advice to who I or her could contact? Just cant leave it at this. Ridiculous. Looking for someone higher up than her mentor or team leader.
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ss42)
Hi, can anyone give me advice? My daughter had just been kicked out of her 3yr child nursing course at uni for failing a paper again on her second attempt. I can't believe it's this strict. Does anyone have advice to who I or her could contact? Just cant leave it at this. Ridiculous. Looking for someone higher up than her mentor or team leader.
You (or more likely your daughter) would need to check the university's marking policy which should be available in her module handbook or on the university website. There may be an option to lodge an appeal if the marking was unfair however whether or not you have grounds for this really depends on the individual circumstances. It would be very sensible to speak to the students union as they will be very well-versed in the procedures for this and can provide support throughout the process.

Universities generally are very clear with students about their marking and assessment procedures and two attempts is fairly standard. If there are no grounds for appeal your daughter may potentially be able to restart 3rd year with the next cohort, but this would be at the discretion of her course leader. While I appreciate this must be extremely disappointing and frustrating for you both it's important to remember that the university can only work within its policies and the agreement they have with the NMC which is to ensure that the people they put forward for registration are able to meet all of the requirements of the course.

Whilst it may be your natural instinct to step in as a parent, your daughter is an adult now and really would need to take these steps herself.
Ss42
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Charlotte's Web)
You (or more likely your daughter) would need to check the university's marking policy which should be available in her module handbook or on the university website. There may be an option to lodge an appeal if the marking was unfair however whether or not you have grounds for this really depends on the individual circumstances. It would be very sensible to speak to the students union as they will be very well-versed in the procedures for this and can provide support throughout the process.

Universities generally are very clear with students about their marking and assessment procedures and two attempts is fairly standard. If there are no grounds for appeal your daughter may potentially be able to restart 3rd year with the next cohort, but this would be at the discretion of her course leader. While I appreciate this must be extremely disappointing and frustrating for you both it's important to remember that the university can only work within its policies and the agreement they have with the NMC which is to ensure that the people they put forward for registration are able to meet all of the requirements of the course.

Whilst it may be your natural instinct to step in as a parent, your daughter is an adult now and really would need to take these steps herself.
Thanks for that ! Yes she has already but, like you say the parent in me feels it's not good enough . Esp after two years of hard work. Thanks again !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (46)
28.4%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.64%
No I am happy with my choice (90)
55.56%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (12)
7.41%

Watched Threads