I'm depressed because i'm 26 and don't know what to do with my life. Watch

Tokorozawa
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Im really frustrated at the moment because i don't know what to do with my life and feel ive wasted too much of it already, its been really stressing me out and i dont want to be working part time minimum wage in this clothes shop forever.

University is out of the question as i failed school because of learning difficulties and those haven't gone away. I did an ICT BTEC at College because I've always been into Technology and gaming but a BTEC isn't going to get me anywhere.

I've also been a social introvert for as long as i can remember so i find it really hard to even talk to people. I still live with my parents but i dont want to be. Sometimes i just feel like crying, i'm 26, a grown woman and want to cry.

Any profound words of wisdom would be appreciated.
Natasha94
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey, I just spent ten mins typing out a reply. It disappeared when I signed in.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't give up hope.
Its time for you to focus on all the positives in your life.
Remember that there are many people who would gladly switch places with you.
Terminally ill people in agonising pain, victims of horrifying sexual violence, honour abuse survivors whose families want them dead, bereaved relatives that need answers and are desperate for justice.

What are you hobbies and dreams for the future?
What do you want to have achieved in 10 years time?
Karisa96
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Tokorozawa)
Im really frustrated at the moment because i don't know what to do with my life and feel ive wasted too much of it already, its been really stressing me out and i dont want to be working part time minimum wage in this clothes shop forever.

University is out of the question as i failed school because of learning difficulties and those haven't gone away. I did an ICT BTEC at College because I've always been into Technology and gaming but a BTEC isn't going to get me anywhere.

I've also been a social introvert for as long as i can remember so i find it really hard to even talk to people. I still live with my parents but i dont want to be. Sometimes i just feel like crying, i'm 26, a grown woman and want to cry.

Well to start with dont dwell on the past, there is nothing you can do about that it's gone. Concentrate on the future, be positive we can all do anything if we put our minds to it.
What do you really want to do?
Working in a shop you must have social skills to be able to talk to your co workers and customers.
Btec is recognized, so why don't you look into the technology and gaming industry and see what you would need to get a foot in the door.
Be positive, and if you need to chat I will be more than happy to, about anything just pm if you want. Good luck.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey!

I just wanted to say that you are loved, it might not feel like it right now, but know that you are. Another thing, which might not be evident in this light right now, is that everything in your life happens FOR you, not TO you: your hardships will soon all make sense.

I truly wish you all the best! Stay strong!
xx.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
I feel similar sometimes and often struggle with loneliness, just talk to someone who you know you can trust from personal experience
Ben878
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Have you ever thought of programming/computer science, since IT/gaming is in your interests? There are free beginner courses available out there if you want to give it a try

If you know how to work around your learning difficulties then it will be a great help to you. IE if you work well in solitude only it's worth looking at careers that have such an environment

Please don't feel to down about it - I've had several bad failures, but I've always come to ask myself 'was all that stress really worth it?'' and the answer has always been 'no'. For many of us, the road is a difficult one, but the path is always there for us to follow, no matter how many times we may fall...Take care
Tokorozawa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Karisa96)
Well to start with dont dwell on the past, there is nothing you can do about that it's gone. Concentrate on the future, be positive we can all do anything if we put our minds to it.
What do you really want to do?
Working in a shop you must have social skills to be able to talk to your co workers and customers.
Btec is recognized, so why don't you look into the technology and gaming industry and see what you would need to get a foot in the door.
Be positive, and if you need to chat I will be more than happy to, about anything just pm if you want. Good luck.
What do i really want to do? I want a proper career but i dont know what or how. Something in the ICT or gaming field but you either need years of experience or a degree and after failing school, going to university would be impossible nor do i think i could hack it. Social skills arent great, i never know what to say to people. Just what i think they want to hear. Thanks, chat is always helpful but i probably wouldnt have a great deal to say.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago

May I suggest finding someone to talk to? From personal experience having someone to talk to can be a life saver, also if your into gaming and things why not set up a twitch or YouTube? It would be a great confidence booster and you would be able to game, do what you love and not have to worry about talking to people
Tokorozawa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ben878)
Have you ever thought of programming/computer science, since IT/gaming is in your interests? There are free beginner courses available out there if you want to give it a try

If you know how to work around your learning difficulties then it will be a great help to you. IE if you work well in solitude only it's worth looking at careers that have such an environment

Please don't feel to down about it - I've had several bad failures, but I've always come to ask myself 'was all that stress really worth it?'' and the answer has always been 'no'. For many of us, the road is a difficult one, but the path is always there for us to follow, no matter how many times we may fall...Take care
I've thought about it a lot but theres so many different options out there and wouldnt know where to start plus i dont think online courses are for me. I'd need some structure.
Tokorozawa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
May I suggest finding someone to talk to? From personal experience having someone to talk to can be a life saver, also if your into gaming and things why not set up a twitch or YouTube? It would be a great confidence booster and you would be able to game, do what you love and not have to worry about talking to people
That would probably be a big help but unfortunately i have no one to talk to. Thought about twitch/youtube but not sure how it would help?
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
That would probably be a big help but unfortunately i have no one to talk to. Thought about twitch/youtube but not sure how it would help?
You’d be able to gain more confidence by being able to speak in front of a camera or microphone
Tokorozawa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
You’d be able to gain more confidence by being able to speak in front of a camera or microphone
I hate being on camera and i find it hard to speak clearly. People always ask me to repeat myself and i get words mixed up. And i dont know how to talk about anything, ask me to talk about something and at most it will be a short sentance or a few words
C'est me
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I know a lot of people older than you who feel this way but you're never too old to get onto a good career path. A good place to start is looking for jobs online, even those you're not qualified for. If one of them catches your eye, look for junior positions or positions that don't require qualifications in that field or company. You can then get experience in that field while studying a course part time that could help you advance to the position you want.
As for speaking more confidently, I would recommend actually practicing but speaking out loud to yourself to practice certain topics (make sure no-one's around to think you're crazy haha) and even recording yourself on your phone to go over what you're saying and critiquing yourself. You will cringe at it as everyone does, but its practice nonetheless.
Kussumy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

I've worked in IT most of my life and I now hire people for the tech company I work for. I don't employ people based on their education but mostly based on their skills and experience.

You could build yourself a portfolio or a website to show during interviews.

It's never too late. You are still young, don't give up!

I'm a girl too btw.
Analyst89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey you are into gaming and technology.

There are programming courses online.

You can develop your own video game, gaming apps and present it as a portfolio to gain employment in the gaming industry or even work as a freelancer.
Tokorozawa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kussumy)
I've worked in IT most of my life and I now hire people for the tech company I work for. I don't employ people based on their education but mostly based on their skills and experience.

You could build yourself a portfolio or a website to show during interviews.

It's never too late. You are still young, don't give up!

I'm a girl too btw.
What kind of portfolio? The only technical stuff i've done is mainly building PCs and repairs for a few people
(Original post by Analyst89)
Hey you are into gaming and technology.

There are programming courses online.

You can develop your own video game, gaming apps and present it as a portfolio to gain employment in the gaming industry or even work as a freelancer.
I'd love to develop a game or an app but that sounds way above what i can do. I failed school because i struggled with basic math. But i'll look into it.
Analyst89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
There are courses, websites such as w3 school, udacity, free code camp, code academy, pluralsight, Lynda, treehouse that you can learn programming, the first 4 has free content also khan academy.
Goldenparadise
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I was going to suggest apprenticeship, but you might be over the age requirement. I suggest a couple things as other people have stated sign up for a course and also looking to volunteering/internship in your field (you always have company that want free work). Be proactive! this might sound cold but be an introvert gets no where (speaking from my own personal experience as an introvert), try to get a careers adviser at your old college or even check in your local area (because you're going to need interview practice). Use the resource available in this forum, get your CV check there are so many hidden opportunities in IT that you're unaware of and don't loose confidence in yourself. The fact that you have asked for advice on TSR, shows that you really want change and improvement, don't dismissed any of suggestions as these might help you in a great way.

Good luck
Tokorozawa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Goldenparadise)
I was going to suggest apprenticeship, but you might be over the age requirement. I suggest a couple things as other people have stated sign up for a course and also looking to volunteering/internship in your field (you always have company that want free work). Be proactive! this might sound cold but be an introvert gets no where (speaking from my own personal experience as an introvert), try to get a careers adviser at your old college or even check in your local area (because you're going to need interview practice). Use the resource available in this forum, get your CV check there are so many hidden opportunities in IT that you're unaware of and don't loose confidence in yourself. The fact that you have asked for advice on TSR, shows that you really want change and improvement, don't dismissed any of suggestions as these might help you in a great way.

Good luck
I believe apprenticeships don't have age requirements anymore. (Someone please correct me if i'm wrong) but they are very far and few and a lot in my area require GCSEs. An Apprenticeship does seem like the best option though. Thanks for the advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (369)
44.46%
No (87)
10.48%
I'm not old enough (374)
45.06%

Watched Threads