What are your opinions on digital piracy? Watch

ThuggerThugger
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Do you think it’s wrong? Are there any scenarios where you see it being ok?
Hope567
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well personally i think it's wrong...but no one seems to be banning all these sites with free movies and tv shows ..what can regular people like us actually do? It's all uploaded for free and people don't have to spend a dime on purchasing stuff legally
DiddyDecAlt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I have no issues with it, I would be a hypocrite if I did.
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hope567)
Well personally i think it's wrong...but no one seems to be banning all these sites with free movies and tv shows ..what can regular people like us actually do? It's all uploaded for free and people don't have to spend a dime on purchasing stuff legally
What if you only download educational resources?
Hope567
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
What if you only download educational resources?
Lol I've actually never come across pirated educational resources .. do they exist? And if they do it's still wrong right to publish copyrighted material
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I usually say, "it's not illegal if you don't get caught"
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Do you think it’s wrong? Are there any scenarios where you see it being ok?

Is it wrong?
well It would be pushing to call it "right"

but at the end of the day If I can get something for free digitally then I usually will.

I wouldn't say i'm a heavy pirate ...but I have modded my ps2, ps3, psp, n3ds and have got free games for it

I dislike using torrents and haven't used them for many years as I don't like leaving ports open and tbh a lot of torrents contain virus's. I prefer using traditional links.

stuff like photoshop would be far less popular than it was if it wasn't for piracy. photoshop is actually the most cracked software out there and without piracy it would be far less mainstream and we wouldn't have terms like "photoshopping"

I mean the only people who were really going to pay for that are professional businesses who pretty much have to.
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
Lol I've actually never come across pirated educational resources .. do they exist? And if they do it's still wrong right to publish copyrighted material
Yup they do you get entire communities dedicated to pirating educational resources.. so I’ve heard anyway heheheeheee
Hope567
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yup they do you get entire communities dedicated to pirating educational resources.. so I’ve heard anyway heheheeheee
My old friend found MATLAB latest software online for free. ...i haven't been fortunate to find such good quality educational pirated content. .. i guess this kinda thing is useful for people interested in data analytics as there's lots of pirated software...finding books and research papers must be rare though. ..i don't think educational piracy is as bad as film and music piracy
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
finding books and research papers must be rare though.
really isn’t rare atall... pretty simple.
BasicMistake
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's morally wrong in the same way lying is morally wrong.

People always do it fine but that doesn't stop something from being wrong.
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
I have no issues with it, I would be a hypocrite if I did.
You need to turn yourself in
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
(Original post by BasicMistake)
It's morally wrong in the same way lying is morally wrong.

People always do it fine but that doesn't stop something from being wrong.
But lying isn’t always wrong though.. totally scenario based.

Lets say a very poor man in Africa has been given the opportunity to better himself but requires various different books which he cannot afford so he obtains them through digital piracy. He completes his studies and gets a job and leaves the ghetto of his hometown. A few years later he launches a program to provide kids from his town with free books for school.

Is this man a criminal?
DiddyDecAlt
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You need to turn yourself in
To who? CPS don't prosecute end users, it is a waste of valuable resources.
BasicMistake
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
But lying isn’t always wrong though.. totally scenario based.

Lets say a very poor man in Africa has been given the opportunity to better himself but requires various different books which he cannot afford so he obtains them through digital piracy. He completes his studies and gets a job and leaves the ghetto of his hometown. A few years later he launches a program to provide kids from his town with free books for school.

Is this man a criminal?
If he gets caught and prosecuted then by definition he is a criminal. This is a legal matter, not one of morality.

And I dispute the idea that lying is not always wrong. It's just less wrong than alternatives in a given scenario.
Last edited by BasicMistake; 2 weeks ago
_.Someone_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I meeaan, its wrong, but like, if I can watch a movie for free then I'm going to.
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
(Original post by BasicMistake)
If he gets caught and prosecuted then by definition he is a criminal. This is a legal matter, not one of morality.

And I dispute the idea that lying is not always wrong. It's just less wrong than alternatives in a given scenario.
My sister lies to her kids to stop them getting scared... you’re heartless tbh.
BasicMistake
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My sister lies to her kids to stop them getting scared... you’re heartless tbh.
I didn't say people should never lie. If your sister's children feel better then by all means, tell them what they need to hear. But I'm not pretending that lying becomes a moral act. You might consider me to be heartless but I think you're in denial. Just because something is immoral doesn't mean you can't do it.
Last edited by BasicMistake; 2 weeks ago
Glaz
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's a blessing
MrMusician95
Report 2 weeks ago
Nothing wrong with it. Some people cannot afford subscriptions like Sky or Netflix and some shows air a lot earlier in other countries. We live in a world where people love spoiling shows and movies. Also, look at football in England. To watch every TELEVISED game - which isn't even every game - you need Sky, BT and Amazon. That is ridiculous. No wonder people stream.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (199)
18.69%
Labour (550)
51.64%
Liberal Democrats (144)
13.52%
Green Party (59)
5.54%
Brexit Party (15)
1.41%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.38%
SNP (17)
1.6%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.47%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.66%
SDLP (1)
0.09%
Ulster Unionist (4)