jncw
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys here I am again, I was just wondering what BMAT score do I need if I didn't do GCSE in order to be shortlisted to attend the biomed interview? Btw, I applied for special consideration for my BMAT, does that mean that I may potentially be shortlisted with a lower score in BMAT? I'm just getting really anxious as the BMAT results will be released this Friday. Also, is there a Oxford biomed applicants thread here on tsr? I cant find it!
tuxedo-
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
These are the admission statistics for biomed for last year, scroll down for BMAT scores

This is how you calculate your score once you get the results back:

[The BMAT scores shown above are the sum of Section 1, 2 and 3 scores calculated in the following way to give the weightings: Section 1=40%, Section 2=40%, and Section 3=20%:

Section 1 & 2: These are originally reported on a scale of 1-9. One mark is removed from this score (to give a scale of 0 to 8), and the resulting figure multiplied by 5 (to give a score out of 40).

Section 3: The ‘Quality of content’ score is multiplied by 2 and added to the ‘Quality of English’ score (with A=5, B=4, C=3, D=2, E=1, and X=0). This gives a score out of 15, which is converted to a score out of 20 by multiplying by 4/3.]

If you had extenuating circumstances then you may have a chance of being interviewed even if your score is lower than the average.

Keep in mind that these statistics being for last year mean that the average may be lower or higher this year to get an interview, so take these only as a guide.
jncw
Rep:
?
(Original post by tuxedo-)
These are the admission statistics for biomed for last year, scroll down for BMAT scores

This is how you calculate your score once you get the results back:

[The BMAT scores shown above are the sum of Section 1, 2 and 3 scores calculated in the following way to give the weightings: Section 1=40%, Section 2=40%, and Section 3=20%:

Section 1 & 2: These are originally reported on a scale of 1-9. One mark is removed from this score (to give a scale of 0 to 8), and the resulting figure multiplied by 5 (to give a score out of 40).

Section 3: The ‘Quality of content’ score is multiplied by 2 and added to the ‘Quality of English’ score (with A=5, B=4, C=3, D=2, E=1, and X=0). This gives a score out of 15, which is converted to a score out of 20 by multiplying by 4/3.]

If you had extenuating circumstances then you may have a chance of being interviewed even if your score is lower than the average.

Keep in mind that these statistics being for last year mean that the average may be lower or higher this year to get an interview, so take these only as a guide.
Thanks a lot for replying! I know how the score is calculated, Im just wondering if I need higher BMAT scores as I don’t have GCSE, and about how high would it need to be, having considered that I have special consideration? Actually I’m just really nervous even tho I know I cant change anything, are you an oxford biomed applicant as well?
tuxedo-
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jncw)
Thanks a lot for replying! I know how the score is calculated, Im just wondering if I need higher BMAT scores as I don’t have GCSE, and about how high would it need to be, having considered that I have special consideration? Actually I’m just really nervous even tho I know I cant change anything, are you an oxford biomed applicant as well?
No haha, i just researched it quickly. I did the BMAT last year for medicine though.

They say they give the BMAT score more weight if you haven't done GCSE's but it would be pure speculation to what degree.

If you look at the graph, the lowest BMAT score with a place was 40-44.9 and and the lowest with an interview but no place looks like 45-49.9. So as long as your score is not below 40 you may still have a chance.

And even then i can't completely rule out that you won't get an interview if it is below 40 because the scores will vary from year to year and this year it may be less competitive and a lower threshold of a BMAT score to receive and interview.
jncw
Rep:
?
(Original post by tuxedo-)
No haha, i just researched it quickly. I did the BMAT last year for medicine though.

They say they give the BMAT score more weight if you haven't done GCSE's but it would be pure speculation to what degree.

If you look at the graph, the lowest BMAT score with a place was 40-44.9 and and the lowest with an interview but no place looks like 45-49.9. So as long as your score is not below 40 you may still have a chance.

And even then i can't completely rule out that you won't get an interview if it is below 40 because the scores will vary from year to year and this year it may be less competitive and a lower threshold of a BMAT score to receive and interview.
I got my BMAT today and the results are 6.2, 5.1, 3.5A, 62.5% if Oxford’s algorithm is used, does this mean that I have a good chance?
Last edited by jncw; 1 month ago
tuxedo-
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jncw)
I got my BMAT today and the results are 6.2, 5.1, 3.5A, 62.5% if Oxford’s algorithm is used, does this mean that I have a good chance?
Yes, that's a very good score for Oxford, i would be surprised if they didn't at least interview you. Look at the admission statistics: about 4 candidates out of what looks like 34 had a score between 60 and 64.9 but weren't even interviewed. The vast majority were shortlisted and out of all the scores it was the modal bracket for which applicants received a place to study at Oxford.

Congratulations on the score, i'm confident you have a very good chance. You are free to let me know how it goes if you want.
ConicalFlask
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Remember that the BMAT score cutoff for interviews depends on what other people applying this year got, so if it was a particularly hard BMAT you could get an interview and even place with what seems like a low score!

Source: current Oxford biomed
jncw
Rep:
?
(Original post by ConicalFlask)
Remember that the BMAT score cutoff for interviews depends on what other people applying this year got, so if it was a particularly hard BMAT you could get an interview and even place with what seems like a low score!

My BMAT score (62.5%) would be competitive enough for last year as last year’s average of shortlisted applicants was 59%, the average may be lower this year as most BMAT candidates found section 2 to be particularly hard compared to previous years. The problem is that I don’t have GCSE, so I’ll probably need a higher BMAT score to compensate that as BMAT weighting would be doubled. But I don’t know how high my BMAT score needs to be in order to be shortlisted.
Just in case I get an interview, how did you prepare for your interview? Would you mind giving me some tips on this? Thanks!
jncw
Rep:
?
(Original post by ConicalFlask)

I've got an interview invite and I wanna ask how much do they ask about your ps in the interview? Do they ask about current medical news? Do you mind sharing a few tips please?
tuxedo-
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jncw)
I've got an interview invite and I wanna ask how much do they ask about your ps in the interview? Do they ask about current medical news? Do you mind sharing a few tips please?
I have no idea for Biomed but i imagine its the same as many subjects. Personal statement can literally not come up at all, but you should definitely know it well because they still do sometimes ask some candidates about a part of it that might have caught their eye. Most of the interview probably won't be about the statement but i would be guessing if i said i knew. Just make sure you know it well.

Make sure you know current stuff going on yeah, its good to demonstrate that you are involved in the subject outside of just academics. They have been known to ask about current medical news in medicine interviews, so its possible for biomed maybe.

Other tips: Do a mock interview if you can, read any books you've read and make sure you know them well. Look at Oxford interview questions for biomed online and test yourself.

My advice is mostly general so ask ConicalFlask as he said hes a current Oxford biomed student; he could be of real help. Certainly more than me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (74)
14.86%
1 (68)
13.65%
2 (65)
13.05%
20.68%
20.08%
5 (88)
17.67%

Watched Threads

Latest