rudikonrath
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm currently in 6th form and I study physics, further maths, maths and product design. I'm hoping to go to university to do aeronautical engineering after and I'm also doing an Epq. I haven't started yet and I was wondering how much it would actually help my university application as I'm not to keen on doing one, but would it be worth it to do it?
katepoppy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My advice would be to research the unis that you might be thinking of applying to and see if they give extra credit at the application process for doing an epq, I personally decided against doing one as I know I would rather focus on my A-levels so I can get the grades I need
MillieJ2182
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
From my experience EPQ is probably going to be one of the reason I get into the course and uni I want to as the course is so competitive. Look into uni and course; some will lower their grade expectations if you have an EPQ.
Shahed-02
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by rudikonrath)
I'm currently in 6th form and I study physics, further maths, maths and product design. I'm hoping to go to university to do aeronautical engineering after and I'm also doing an Epq. I haven't started yet and I was wondering how much it would actually help my university application as I'm not to keen on doing one, but would it be worth it to do it?
I think depends would you consider dropping down to 3 A-Levels or will you finish with 4 because essentially most people like myself do EPQ with 3 A-Levels and it depends your field of interest as well, can you manage 4 A levels along with an EPQ for 2 years or will you drop down to 3 subjects
Generally EPQ would help for the more selective universities like Manchester, Birmingham etc because you will stand out from the rest, and the fact most people don’t see the benefit it golden because some universities like Bath promote EPQ, it will make you different from the norm but depends whether you do drop a subject possibly product design as from hind sight it seems the other subjects would benefit you more.
And also depends how you’re managing with your A Levels currently, have you got a timetable, plan etc (if you need help with that a guy called Ali Abdal will help a junior doctor who studied at Cambridge)
Tell me more specifically whether you will do 4 a levels and an EPQ or drop down one to 3 subjects and an EPQ and also depends on your work ethic etc
Good luck mate
Shahed-02
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Also EPQ can act as a make weight if you don’t get the grades for other subjects (but do check the universities for further info if they do that )
rudikonrath
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm aiming to do all 4 if I can, but if need be I can do an AS level in my further maths instead
MillieJ2182
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I am doing 4 A-levels and epq. Bit of hard work but worth it
Shahed-02
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm aiming to do all 4 if I can, but if need be I can do an AS level in my further maths instead
Oh well good luck mate if you haven’t found a good timetable app, or your kinda disorganised like myself cough cough, then an app called Todoist is very useful you can pan your day.
An if you don’t want to be carrying lots of your books when revising or just want everything in the same place and just easy to access, then an app called Notion is your thing you can virtually make it your own thing , if you’d want a tutorial on how to use it a guy called Keep Productive has a basic beginners guide to it, and if you are still confused you can always ask how I’ve been using it so far
Good luck mate hope you get into the field of study /job you want to mate
username5050888
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
if you're not keen on doing one, I wouldn't recommend it, I've just finished mine and a lot of time and effort goes into it, if you're not enthusiastic about writing and researching it, it won't be enjoyable and probably won't be that good at the end
PoppyCain
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Don't do it. I know about four people, all of which are aiming for the worlds top unis let alone ones in the uk and they ended up dropping EPQ because of the workload it required versus such little gain.
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
A level Further Maths will be far more use than an EPQ. Just do the 4 A levels.
Pippa.21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Don't do it. I'm doing three alevels and it is already a fair bit of work in EPQ. Also you should have started it by this point if you were doing it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (176)
48.75%
No (44)
12.19%
I'm not old enough (141)
39.06%

Watched Threads