JanaALEVEL
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Name:  Screenshot (106).png
Views: 42
Size:  349.5 KB
In this picture, does the carrier protein remain in the shape on the right until a molecule from the inside binds to it and passes through it causing it to change shape ? Or does the shape of the protein at the end return to its original shape the second the molecule it transported is released ?
tuxedo-
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
From the 3 different chronological diagrams in the screenshot, it looks like when the insoluble molecule from outside of the cell (in the extracellular fluid) binds to the carrier protein it changes shape closing to the outside while opening to the inside, at the last stage when it is only open to the inside of the cell (cytoplasmic side), the insoluble molecule is released and diffuses away into the cytoplasm.
JanaALEVEL
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by tuxedo-)
From the 3 different chronological diagrams in the screenshot, it looks like when the insoluble molecule from outside of the cell (in the extracellular fluid) binds to the carrier protein it changes shape closing to the outside while opening to the inside, at the last stage when it is only open to the inside of the cell (cytoplasmic side), the insoluble molecule is released and diffuses away into the cytoplasm.
I understand all of this but what happens after ? Does the carrier protein remain in that shape until an insoluble molecule from the inside binds to it ? Or does it return to its original shape as soon as the 1st molecule is released ?
tuxedo-
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by JanaALEVEL)
I understand all of this but what happens after ? Does the carrier protein remain in that shape until an insoluble molecule from the inside binds to it ? Or does it return to its original shape as soon as the 1st molecule is released ?
I believe it reverts to its original shape once the molecule is released to the inside.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.53%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (545)
48.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise