'Translate into something'

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Does it make sense to say 'I hope that my interest will translate into my teaching'? It's hard to explain what I mean by 'translate' but it's just a phrase (eg 'I hope that this will translate') and I can't find a way to rephrase it or even to get a synonym for it. Help?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Does it make sense to say 'I hope that my interest will translate into my teaching'? It's hard to explain what I mean by 'translate' but it's just a phrase (eg 'I hope that this will translate') and I can't find a way to rephrase it or even to get a synonym for it. Help?
I understand what you mean. I think a better word for the concept would be 'to convey' i.e. "I hope that my interest will be conveyed by my teaching".
Anonymous #1
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
I understand what you mean. I think a better word for the concept would be 'to convey' i.e. "I hope that my interest will be conveyed by my teaching".
what about 'i hope that my interest will be conveyed INTO my teaching?' thats what im trying to say but that doesnt sound right
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
"i hope that my interest will inform my teaching"

:hat2:
Em.-.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
You mean you hope your interest will benefit your teaching? Or you think your teaching will benefit your interest? Which one influences the other? (You could try “influence” actually)
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Emiluu)
You mean you hope your interest will benefit your teaching? Or you think your teaching will benefit your interest? Which one influences the other? (You could try “influence” actually)
The first one, I hope that my interest will benefit my teaching
Anonymous #1
''I hope to be able to equally inspire my students and show them the value and enjoyment in learning a new language, and I believe that my innate passion for foreign languages will translate into my teaching.''
Does that make sense? For context this is for a BA primary education personal statement lol
username5021692
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I hope that my passion will translate into inspirational teaching...that's probably a bit too much, but I think "passion" is a better than "interest."
Anonymous #1
(Original post by aciana)
I hope that my passion will translate into inspirational teaching...that's probably a bit too much, but I think "passion" is a better than "interest."
how about this
''I hope to be able to equally inspire my students and show them the value and enjoyment in learning a new language, and I believe that my innate passion for foreign languages will translate into my teaching.''
username5021692
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
how about this
that sounds good to me
Anonymous #1
(Original post by aciana)
that sounds good to me
yayyy thank you
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
yayyy thank you
Be careful - you have now posted that sentence on a public forum, so it may get flagged up as copying if you put that into your personal statement. If you'd said it was for your personal statement in your OP, I would have moved it to a secure forum (i.e. the PS Review forum). Unfortunately it's too late now.

claireestelle - will this be an issue?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Be careful - you have now posted that sentence on a public forum, so it may get flagged up as copying if you put that into your personal statement. If you'd said it was for your personal statement in your OP, I would have moved it to a secure forum (i.e. the PS Review forum). Unfortunately it's too late now.

claireestelle - will this be an issue?
I m afraid it could be
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
I m afraid it could be
In that case OP, I think the best course of action would be to heavily rewrite that sentence/not use it in your personal statement at all. That way you can avoid getting flagged for plagiarism (which would be an absolute headache). UCAS will have no way of knowing that you are the original author of the sentence, and therefore would assume that you copied it from this thread. Others could also copy the sentence for their own personal statements now, so it really isn't worth including in yours.
Anonymous #1
In that case OP, I think the best course of action would be to heavily rewrite that sentence/not use it in your personal statement at all. That way you can avoid getting flagged for plagiarism (which would be an absolute headache). UCAS will have no way of knowing that you are the original author of the sentence, and therefore would assume that you copied it from this thread. Others could also copy the sentence for their own personal statements now, so it really isn't worth including in yours.
I seriously have no idea how to rewrite the sentence, can I request for this topic or my post to be removed by a moderator?
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I seriously have no idea how to rewrite the sentence, can I request for this topic or my post to be removed by a moderator?
You'll have to remove the sentence completely then. Sadly even if your post is removed, the thread itself in its original state will have been cached by Google by now, so your original post will still be on record/viewable.
rochers
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I didn't know google is that quick at caching websites. But anyways plagiarism can cause lots of problems. Last term I had to write one paper and make sure papers submitted to it and when my professor checked there my research, it turned out as plagiarized. That was probably the most nerve-wrecking week of that term.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (97)
13.66%
I'm not sure (32)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (221)
31.13%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.39%
I'm not a current university student (343)
48.31%

Watched Threads