What happens when planty cells are put in hypotonic solutions ?

Watch
JanaALEVEL
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I know that osmosis happens and as it happens turgor pressure would be building up until it equals the pressure of the water from the outside, at the point does no more water enter by osmosis ? Or is it that there will be non net movement of water ?
username5045224
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by JanaALEVEL)
I know that osmosis happens and as it happens turgor pressure would be building up until it equals the pressure of the water from the outside, at the point does no more water enter by osmosis ? Or is it that there will be non net movement of water ?
So basically a hypotonic solution is where there is a greater amount of solutes (less water) inside the cell than outside. So water will move into the cell by osmosis because water moves down the concentration gradient. Hopefully I helped
JanaALEVEL
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by IHopeIDoWell)
So basically a hypotonic solution is where there is a greater amount of solutes (less water) inside the cell than outside. So water will move into the cell by osmosis because water moves down the concentration gradient. Hopefully I helped
But I know this, my question is, when the cell becomes turgid, does water still move into the cell or does it not ? is there no movement of water into or out of the cell at all, or is there no net movement ?
username5045224
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Oh, well no net movement is no movement in or out so I can answer that but I'm really not sure about the first part. When there's no net movement its an equilibrium but yeah thats all I know, sorry buddy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.78%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.38%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.35%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.8%

Watched Threads