rojomed
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Do you read for self improvement of for entertainment?
How and what kind of books do you read if you want to improve your language skills
Suchomimus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I reccomend the Bartimaeus trilogy. Not only are they a fun read, they have words in them that will improve your vocabluary, regardless of your age.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I definitely used to mainly read for enjoyment, now I tend to read more for a specific aim (so, I suppose, "self-improvement"). As above though, reading for leisure - even of "pop" fiction/non-fiction, as opposed to some notion of the works in a literary canon, will develop yourself. I read pretty prolifically when I was younger, and ended up with a pretty expansive vocabulary as a result (at the time, lol; that's all fallen out of my head now), even if I didn't always know how to pronounce the words

If you mean, for improving your English language skills, then really any book of interest should be a reasonable option. I particularly liked Garth Nix and Terry Pratchett's writing, and the latter in particular has quite a way with language which I think would be helpful in developing someones ability in the area. The "Unfortunate Events" series by Lemony Snicket likewise might be good in that sense, since part of the style of his writing is introducing often somewhat obscure words and then explaining them...in a sense. His prose style is a bit unusual though (perhaps somewhat intricate at times) so it may or may not be to your taste.

Really though as a kid I just read almost anything I could get my hands on, which isn't a bad option for you - from "Animorphs" to "The Lord of the Rings", and much inbetween, any reading can help you develop your language abilities I specifically ended up learning to speed read (in my head) quite young because I had (when I was very young) a speech impediment which made the (at the time) usual format of "reading aloud" quite slow and difficult for me. Reading I think definitely made sure my language ability was developing, even in spite of my speech impediment (which I had speech therapy for, apparently, and got over).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 10 months ago
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Moved to Books, literature and comics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (113)
13.85%
I'm not sure (36)
4.41%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (249)
30.51%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (398)
48.77%

Watched Threads