joliephillips
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello! I am very interested in taking English and Creative Writing at Birmingham University as I have been to an Open Day there and absolutely loved the uni. However, I was just finalising my UCAS form today and read something that has... Panicked me.

Even though this course is technically English Literature and Creative Writing, I myself have taken English Language at A Level. With my other university choices this is not a problem as the requirements ask for one of English Language or English Literature. But, when I was looking at the requirements for the English courses here, they only list English Literature or the combined English Language and Literature - and I take neither.

I have made my passion for English Literature very clear in my personal statement and I am predicted AAA in my subjects. I will be extremely disappointed if I cannot go to Birmingham Uni, as it is my first choice, but I need to know ASAP whether there is a point in applying or not because of these requirements.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Last edited by joliephillips; 1 year ago
loubellastar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there! I have applied for the exact same course and received an offer today I personally don't know as I take both English literature and English language separately as well as sociology - it would probably increase your chance if you didn't have an a level in English literature but I think if you really love the course and university then go for it! But perhaps you could email the department and enquire and if they say you'd most likely not be considered then you wouldn't have wasted a uni choice and can look somewhere else but if they say yes they'd still consider you then go for it Hope that helps a little bit! and please let me know if you apply and get an offer
joliephillips
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by loubellastar)
Hi there! I have applied for the exact same course and received an offer today I personally don't know as I take both English literature and English language separately as well as sociology - it would probably increase your chance if you didn't have an a level in English literature but I think if you really love the course and university then go for it! But perhaps you could email the department and enquire and if they say you'd most likely not be considered then you wouldn't have wasted a uni choice and can look somewhere else but if they say yes they'd still consider you then go for it Hope that helps a little bit! and please let me know if you apply and get an offer
First of all, congrats and well done! Since you replied, the Uni has messaged me and unfortunately I won’t be able to apply for any course but English Language here. I’m really disappointed and upset because my Language A Level hasn’t been a problem with other universities but at least I know now that I shouldn’t apply as it will be a wasted choice. Thanks and good luck with your exams and everything!
loubellastar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you! That's such a shame Yeah that must be really annoying, I know most of the unis I applied to wanted English Literature a level but I know it can be different at all universities. I hope you find the university suited for you Thank you so much, good luck to you too with everything in the future
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (20)
30.77%
No (45)
69.23%

Watched Threads