muslim and started drinking alcohol - am I a bad muslim? Watch

StormyWeather16
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
No, you're not a bad Muslim at all. As long as you know your limits and don't lose control then it won't do much harm.
No offense, but it's not your place to say that. Trying to go into someone else's religion is a big no-no
Anonymous #5
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hence I wrote "in moderation" and "doesn't cause you to become intoxicated"...
I was clarifying the statement, as some may misunderstand and use your statement to say 'its fine to drink whiskey in moderation, as long as I don't get drunk'
username5011598
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Kindly conclude this discussion now and just take and learn one lesson from this is that from today you'll respect every religon Take care everyone , everyone from different faiths. May your faith help you to respect other faiths too
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by amaaynah)
Ofcourse - questioning about your own religon which you were born with and asking such questions and please it's not about Muslims it's about people who you're and born with. Even the word 'muslim issues' can be replaced with a respectable word because remember no religon is bad or good. Every religon is respectable. It depends on you how you promote it through your actions or anything evident. Thank you.
No . The phrase "muslim issues" can mean, as I intended, "matters pertaining to issues raised by muslims" as in this thread. But i hate these threads anyway. The ignorance and disrespect on both sides of the argument is breath taking! And to think that these are the next generation of young people. They sound as bad as some of the 1970s intolerance!
username5011598
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by agentofchaos)
yOU canNOT CritiCIze any religion! ALL religion on Earth is All Good! OnLy RESPECT!! Respect GOod!!

YUO DISRESPECT?!:eek: THATS OFFENSIVE!:mad: JUST RESPECT pleZ>!!:cool:
Thank you agentofchaos for listing to my point of view. I hope you also follow a religon I swear your religion points out the same rule to you too to one and only respect other faiths. Thanks for having me. I'm sorry if I had used or said anything that made you feel furious. Take care
Psychopath 666
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
as the title says
I have strong faith altho I don't pray as often as I should but I've started drinking since I came to uni in September and always regret it after I do it.
idk why I do it, i feel like it's to fit in. I'll always say ok I'm not gonna drink tonight if I'm going out but will always end up doing so. then when I come home I feel so **** after the night out thinking wtf am I doing. I want to pray but then my prayers are invalid.
any help or advice is appreciated cause I feel so **** about it
Dude, just stop.
Knowing your addiction triggers and avoid them when possible
Avoiding associates and past friends who encourage your addictive behaviours
Attend a residential treatment facility whilst you detox and rehabilitate
Attend mutual support groups
Get a sponsor
Improve your health by taking regular exercise and by eating well
username5011598
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mgi)
No . The phrase "muslim issues" can mean, as I intended, "matters pertaining to issues raised by muslims" as in this thread. But i hate these threads anyway. The ignorance and disrespect on both sides of the argument is breath taking! And to think that these are the next generation of young people. They sound as bad as some of the 1970s intolerance!
The thing we learn is to be affectionate and respectable toward other faiths. Here we conclude our discussion.
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You didn't understand. Certain medicines have alcohol, but the alcohol to other ingredients ratio is so great, that if you continuously kept taking these medicines, you could never get drunk, as the solution is so dilute. Whereas alcohol in say, whiskey, is great enough in concentration, that if you kept drinking it, you would eventually get drunk. Also, you mentioned knowing your limits, but how would you know your limits without getting drunk in the first place? And regarding self control, there are already so many people who are out of control with regards to alcohol intake, 40% of people in A&E are in due to alcohol related reasons, and as a medical student I've met many, so Muslims are better off on a ban on alcohol then relying on their self control
I understood perfectly, it's just that the logic made no sense.

1) It doesn't matter if they're dilute, if they contain alcohol then in theory it is possible to take so many to get you drunk.

2) Exactly. You'd only get drunk if you kept drinking. But one can drink alcohol and not keep drinking. One can drink alcohol and stop when they know their limits. You can't base a spiritual prohibition on a hypothetical scenario. By that insane logic I could drain a whiskey bottle 4/5 of the way and then hand it over to a Muslim. Because of this they'd be able to drink the whiskey that's left as it's not very likely they could get drunk on 1/5 of the original volume.

3) Because getting drunk and tipsy is usually a gradual feeling and doesn't just suddenly appear. If you're drinking you can always tell when your head begins to feel slightly off normal and at that point you can stop. What a lot of other people do is neither here nor there because we're not talking about other people, we're focussing on the OP.
(Original post by StormyWeather16)
No offense, but it's not your place to say that. Trying to go into someone else's religion is a big no-no
It is my place to say whatever I please as long as it falls within the confines of free speech and my comment qualifies as such. It's not a big no-no, I've been commenting on other people's religions for years and I will continue doing so.
Last edited by Plantagenet Crown; 3 weeks ago
username5011598
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by agentofchaos)
I sincerely hope you don't support homosexuality because it's haram. (in minecraft, not real life, you will go to jail in europe/US)
Oh wait, were you going to say
LOVE NO HATE?!?!
Take care.
StormyWeather16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I understood perfectly, it's just that the logic made no sense.

1) It doesn't matter if they're dilute, if they contain alcohol then in theory it is possible to take so many to get you drunk.

2) Exactly. You'd only get drunk if you kept drinking. But one can drink alcohol and not keep drinking. One can drink alcohol and stop when they know their limits. You can't base a spiritual prohibition on a hypothetical scenario. By that insane logic I could drain a whiskey bottle 4/5 of the way and then hand it over to a Muslim. Because of this they'd be able to drink the whiskey that's left as it's not very likely they could get drunk on 1/5 of the original volume.

3) Because getting drunk and tipsy is usually a gradual feeling and doesn't just suddenly appear. If you're drinking you can always tell when your head begins to feel slightly off normal and at that point you can stop. What a lot of other people do is neither here nor there because we're not talking about other people, we're focussing on the OP.

It is my place to say whatever I please as long as it falls within the confines of free speech and my comment qualifies as such. It's not a big no-no, I've been commenting on other people's religions for years and I will continue doing so.
That's fine and of course you can say what you want, but I did so in real life (you know, not hiding behind a computer) and got hit in the back with a bottle. So beware, don't want to start arguments
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by StormyWeather16)
That's fine and of course you can say what you want, but I did so in real life (you know, not hiding behind a computer) and got hit in the back with a bottle. So beware, don't want to start arguments
I have also criticised Islam in real life. Not my problem you got attacked, that's the Muslim's problem and you certainly shouldn't be telling us to shut up due to Muslims' violence. In any case, you're probably a troll and what you describe in all likelihood never happened.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Can I get a hallelujah for that? Or should that be a Ya ilahi? Far too many comments on this thread (as usual) with anonymous posters thinking they have an entitlement to censor comments and attempt to prohibit people from posting their views.

If you want an echo chamber, head over to faith and spirituality
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Islam teaches us to use rationale and common sense. Blood transfusions are to save a life, there is a big difference between saving a life and doing an act just to 'fit in'. Islam allows life saving exceptions, such as if alcohol was the only food item available, and without it you'd die, then yes you would be allowed, but only as much as would be needed to keep you alive. But Islam is not a religion for you to mess about with the rules in a way that suits you.

And regarding knocking on people's doors all religions teach their followers to spread their faith, but it doesn't say to go blindly knocking on everyone's doors. It teaches to use tact and wisdom in one's approach. E.g. Islam teaches that the best way to preach the religion is to practice it, not just go knocking on people's doors.
I think you misunderstood my question, I'll clarify.
The JW religion does specifically teach all its followers to go around knocking on everyone's doors trying to convert random strangers.
The JW religion also specifically forbids all blood transfusions- even the lifesaving ones.
There are no exemptions allowed under the JW religion.
In hospitals the JW elders come to bully dying people to refuse lifesaving blood transfusions- threatening all JWs that accept a lifesaving transfusion with divine punishment if they survive and being thrown out of the JW community with no contact ever allowed again with their JW families.

I'm not a JW, I don't agree with blood transfusions and would never accept one myself.
But I do believe that every adult has the right to choose.
Without any punishment threats, bullying or any person sitting in judgement playing God.
It sounds from your post that you agree with lifesaving blood transfusions and might decide to accept one if you were asked to choose.

So what advice would you give to a JW who asked you for advice about whether they should automatically obey those two JW rules?
To obey, choose for themselves or something else?
StormyWeather16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I have also criticised Islam in real life. Not my problem you got attacked, that's the Muslim's problem and you certainly shouldn't be telling us to shut up due to Muslims' violence. In any case, you're probably a troll and what you describe in all likelihood never happened.
It was actually a Christian who did it to me, he was a friend and drunk and did apologise afterwards but it's still a touchy issue with some hardcore religious ppl. I never told you to shut up, I never said that at all you're telling porkies. I said it's not your place to say that, of course you can if you want but it's a warning. And yes, it did happen, it wasn't a major incident which involved the police or had to go to NHS immediately or any bad sh*t like that XD, but it still hurt quite a bit (despite being a tad tipsy). Had to go to the hospital the next day and found out I had hurt my spine but that was pretty much it. Have you ever critiqued someone's religion in real life? Interested to see how they took to it, most don't mind.
ArtmisKco
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No tbh loads of Muslims drink. Especially on the busiest parts of towns where there are Asian shops and restaurants. They’re all smoking and drinking so dw about it. Just don’t get drunk and cause your body harm
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Can I get a hallelujah for that? Or should that be a Ya ilahi?
I'll say a dirty mashallah, just for you
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
better off on a ban on alcohol then relying on their self control
I disagree with your final sentence.
All people must be able to rely on their self-control and willpower, regardless of whether they are interested in religion or not.

A person's ability to demonstrate their self control and willpower is of crucial importance in life.
Imagine the consequences of lacking enough self control to avoid control violently lashing out when angry.
Or insufficient self-control to moderate personal diet or control personal spending to live within ones means.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'll say a dirty mashallah, just for you
Cheeky :rofl:
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Bad muslim probably, but a bad person no.
DraconisAudiat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
Bad muslim probably, but a bad person no.
True dat.

The better question is if the rules and restrictions of Islam (Or any religion) are appropriate for the 21st Century.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (336)
46.15%
No (78)
10.71%
I'm not old enough (314)
43.13%

Watched Threads