The Student Room Group

Placement year loan help!

I’m a bit worried. I’m due to start next year doing my UNPAID placement year as a veterinary nurse. I won’t be near home and I’m expected to recieve a reduced maintenance loan of just £2,000 however this surely is not enough for me to pay for rent let alone food. It’s worked out to be around £50 a week. What can I do as other support? I can’t work during the year as I’ll be at my placement which will not pay me. I am really panicking as I don’t see how I will be able to live.

I get £1,000 a year a a low income bursary but that’s the only other financial help I’ll have and still isn’t enough to live off
Original post by Bella1809
I’m a bit worried. I’m due to start next year doing my UNPAID placement year as a veterinary nurse. I won’t be near home and I’m expected to recieve a reduced maintenance loan of just £2,000 however this surely is not enough for me to pay for rent let alone food. It’s worked out to be around £50 a week. What can I do as other support? I can’t work during the year as I’ll be at my placement which will not pay me. I am really panicking as I don’t see how I will be able to live.

I get £1,000 a year a a low income bursary but that’s the only other financial help I’ll have and still isn’t enough to live off

Speak to your university to see if they can help you find a paid placement. Alternatively if the placement year is optional then skip it.

Quick Reply