What would you say an AQA A-LEVEL History A*- A essay structure would look like?

Watch
Ash_Student
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello, I've been getting a range of grades for my essays from Cs to As and I don't really know what I'm doing. Also, my teacher says an issue I have is that my essay sounds like a narrative (like I'm telling a story) a bit and I'm wondering, how do I avoid that?

...I'm doing The Tudors 1485-1603 and The American Dream: Reality and Illusion 1945-80
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ashante-Student)
Hello, I've been getting a range of grades for my essays from Cs to As and I don't really know what I'm doing. Also, my teacher says an issue I have is that my essay sounds like a narrative (like I'm telling a story) a bit and I'm wondering, how do I avoid that?

...I'm doing The Tudors 1485-1603 and The American Dream: Reality and Illusion 1945-80
You need to practice and you answer needs to answer the question, identifying the key parts and explaining every aspect before your evaluation.

Narrative sounds more like describing than analysing and reasoning with evidence. Its passive and what you do at GCSE, so probably lacks analysis, insight, understanding, use of evidence and evaluation. Events and facts are only 40%, what they want is the thing I just mentioned.
Be more objective, clearer structure that involves objective analysis.
They dont want a narrator, they want a detective.
ninjaliv
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok I’ll do an example paragraph for the Example essay q “labour strengths were why the tories lost the 1964 election” asses the validity of this view

YOU MUST HAVE A STRONG ARGUMENT that u keep basing every off, all ur evaluation is WHY this evidence makes ur argument more valid than the essay statement. Even if ur exam board has a different style q, they will want evaluation and analysis of an argument (imagine u understand the content x)

Paragraph structure
Argument: Tory image lost the election, not labour strengths.
Evidence: Profumo affair, NOLK, Economic crisis and Douglas hume being old and a lord meant tory image was bad
Analysis: these were bad because tory valence of economic competency and post war security were gone.
Evaluation: this argument is more valid than labour strengths because if tories were perceived as decent, then labour wouldn’t have even got a look in. Clearly labour weren’t excelling in their own right as 11.2% of tory vote went to the liberals - this supports the argument that tory image was more important than labour strengths as tory voters swung to the centre, rather than to a modern Labour Party.

Do spend the first para arguing for the title, but then counter it all at the end.

(This works for me, I got 3A*s1A in essay subjects for alevel)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.67%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.89%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (60)
26.67%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (44)
19.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed