The Student Room Group

Stay in triple or move to combined science?

HI, I’m in yr 11 and I’m pretty much struggling in science (getting 4’s) and considering moving to combined science. Do you think I should or is it too late?
It isn't too late to switch, and I would consider doing so, but you have to take a couple of things into mind.

If you are doing badly on the induviduials, then what is to say that you are not going to do badly on the combined? I would reccomend focussing on one or two of your strong points in science and working on that.

Tip: Practice with past papers.
I think it depends on your department at your school as to whether you can switch or not (I doubt people have been entered yet so no biggie there). You can try if you really want to. The only thing I would ask is if combined students have already sat a GCSE in year 10? I did combined (old spec though) and we had to sit core science in year 10 and additional science GCSE in year 11. If your school follows the same format it may be really hard or impossible to switch :no:
I moved to combined like half way through year 11 and I ended up getting 8/7 and I think if I stuck with separate I would've gotten something like 7/6 at best. If you're getting 4s in separate then it might be a good idea to move :h:
Reply 4
Original post by Suchomimus
It isn't too late to switch, and I would consider doing so, but you have to take a couple of things into mind.

If you are doing badly on the induviduials, then what is to say that you are not going to do badly on the combined? I would reccomend focussing on one or two of your strong points in science and working on that.

Tip: Practice with past papers.

Yes, but you need to understand that triple science has more content and is more in depth compared to combined science which has less content and is more vague.
If you really want to, you can still switch to double. However, I’d see how you do on your mocks and talk to your teachers first

Quick Reply

Latest