Accepting Multiple Postgraduate Offers in UK

Watch
ys00310
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 50 years ago
Hello,

I am an international student who is applying to schools in UK, Canada, and US. I recently received an unconditional offer from University in UK for September 2020 postgraduate program. But I received my offer too early to make my decision. The University admission said there is no final deadline to make the final decision, but places are allocated in the order offers are accepted and it will best if I can let them know as soon as possible.

I get to hear back from all other schools around Early March or April. Scholarship and Funding are important factors when making my final decision. Usually, U.S schools will give students till April 15 to make the final decision. I want to put this UK school as my safe school just in case if I don't get an offer from other schools.

Is it possible to accept multiple postgraduate offers from UK universities? And later choose the best one and withdrawing my application from other schools before starting the program. I am still waiting to hear back from 2 more Universities from UK. Will UK universities find out that I accepted multiple offers if I do so? I didn't apply through UCAS and every application was done through university website.

Hope to hear some feedback and advice regarding this issue
Last edited by ys00310; 10 months ago
ys00310
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by farrahwest)
As far as I am aware of, in the UK you can accept two offers: one as your ‘firm’ choice and one as your ‘aspirational’. I am currently in the process of applying so I do not know a lot but I hope that is of any help to you.
Thank you for kind response! As far as I know, firm and insurance choice option is only applied to undergraduate applicants. If you have further updated details, please let me know it will be much appreciated!
Sentenced_to
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
You can accept as many offers as you like, but if you pay a deposit for a place and then decide to withdraw then you should forget the money (they are almost always non refundable). Some universities also allow you to postpone your acceptance of their offer if you ask them so. Just tell them that you need time until late April to get answers from overseas (for them) schools, or in case you have already accepted the offer, kindly ask them to delay the deposit payment for this same reason.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by ys00310)
farrawest is confusing undergrad and postgrad processes.

For postgrad, the convention is to accept offers until you hold the hand you can make a play with, then you reject all previous acceptances.

The downside to this is that universities make offers depending on how many acceptances they have, so your acceptance minisculely reduces offers made. However, universities follow the stats over the whole term, and understand that even acceptances drop out.

But accept multiple offers, but once you can make a decision, make it promptly. If a university wants yes to mean yes they charge a non-refundable deposit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.29%
I'm not sure (33)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (238)
30.71%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.29%

Watched Threads