Chemistry A-Level Halogenation

Watch this thread
izaakha
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am really unsure about this question, I have attached it below as well:

Propane reacts with Cl2 to form a mixture of chlorinated products. One possible product C3H7Cl is formed as shown in the following equation:

C3H8 + Cl2 → C3H7Cl + HCl

One other possible product of the reaction between propane and chlorine is C3H6Cl2

1) Write a balanced equation explaining the formation of C3H6Cl2 in the reaction mixture
2) Describe, with equations, two propagation steps to show how this product can form.

Thanks

I have done the propagation to form the normal C3H7Cl, but I don't know how C3H8Cl2 is formed?
Attached files
Last edited by izaakha; 2 years ago
Thiexp53
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
C3H6Cl2 is formed from a second series of propagation steps involving C3H7Cl. Once C3H7Cl is formed from the starting reaction another chlorine radical can rip off another hydrogen from it, this formes a chloropropane radical which then goes on to rip a chlorine off a molecule of Cl2 forming C3H6Cl2 and a chlorine radical. Hope this helps .
izaakha
Rep:
I think I understand, please can you look at my image of the reaction equations? If I understand correctly, this reactions is occurring in the reaction mixture that was formed in the first series of propagation.

Thank you so much.
Attached files
Last edited by izaakha; 2 years ago
Thiexp53
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
This is correct, however when you write the formula for the chloro-propane radical the dot should go in front of the the carbon as this is the atom that has the lone electron pair, other than that everything you have done is correct.
izaakha
Rep:
Oh, ok. I was wondering why the textbooks had the dot in different places. Thank you for all the help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (9)
36%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (8)
32%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
8%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (1)
4%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (1)
4%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
12%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed