katrina_ooi
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have these 2 essay question for homework that’s due in about 2 weeks time and I’m just introduced to philosophy and I’m struggling. I took this module as requirement. Need some help with philosophy essay writing structure and what are the key points. Really appreciate any help I could get.

1) Outline the Kalām Cosmological argument and discuss one objection to it. How convincing do you find the objection ?

2) Why might someone deny that god is a person ? Do you think there are advantages to deny this ?
Aspenfire
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
1) You could do a simple 3 paragraph structure to this:
First: Outline it
Second: Discuss objection
Three: Evaluate it (how convincing it is); maybe there is a counter-objection?

2) Try to answer this question in one sentence - then there is your thesis. Find three reasons why someone would deny that (religious, historical, etc.). In each paragraph, discuss the reason and then answer the second part of the essay question in the paragraph, if YOU think there are advantages to it. At first you might be reluctant to put your personal opinion in it - if so, base it on facts and state who you got your argument from.
Emiluu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Practically wrote an entire essay but I accidentally deleted it or something? Swear I submitted reply.. want to help but can’t write all that again
katrina_ooi
Rep:
?
It’s okay, no worries. Thank you for helping tho. Really appreciate it. xx
Emiluu
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Emiluu)
Practically wrote an entire essay but I accidentally deleted it or something? Swear I submitted reply.. want to help but can’t write all that again
Ah I’ll sum it up quick

1) argument:
everything that exists was caused by something else, the universe exists so it must have been caused by something (and some argue this was God)
Objections:
- 1. it doesn’t prove the nature of the cause. The cause could have been anything (including the Big Bang) or just a rock or another inanimate object.
- 2. If everything has a cause then why doesn’t the “first cause” aka God also have a cause? If everything has a cause this chain of causes must be infinite so the universe can’t have had a beginning.
Counter objections:
- 1. Well the Big Bang could have been caused by God, if you don’t take holy scripture literally this could have been his tool to create the universe. But still this argument still stands as the actual nature of the first cause can’t be proven, so you can’t just say it was God.
-2. If God is eternal then he could have created an infinite universe. God is beyond our understanding so while we only have perceived time as not being infinite, it doesn’t mean it can’t be.
Last edited by Emiluu; 3 weeks ago
Emiluu
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
2) God is omnibenevolent, omnipotent, and omniscient (all loving, all powerful and all knowing), people are not. If you said god was a person you’d be saying he doesn’t have his godly attributes. Humans are flawed, like in Genesis Adam and Eve are deceived by a serpent, God cannot be deceived as he is perfect. God is so perfect he is beyond our understanding so he can’t be like us otherwise we’d understand him

However, if being human prevented us from being the same as God then this could be compared to denying Jesus’ existence as he was basically God in human form.

Also person could be different than human. Humans are flawed (we do bad things, though arguably so did God if you take the bible literally). But being a person could simply mean having good emotions, like compassion. If God wasn’t like a person in a way he wouldn’t really understand us and wouldn’t be forgiving, compassionate etc. Also we are said to have the ability to become God like so saying God is a person makes this goal seem more achievable.

Note I’m an atheist and didn’t study these topics specifically (but I did Aquinas cosmological argument, which is the same basically, but more detailed) but got full marks at Scottish higher (a little more UCAS points than AS level I think) for the religious and philosophical studies paper, so I could elaborate more if you’d like on a specific area.
Last edited by Emiluu; 3 weeks ago
katrina_ooi
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for summing it up for me. Really helped me to understand better and cleared up my confusion. I’ll work on it first and if I don’t understand any parts specifically then I’ll ask for your help. Thanks again. Really helped me a lot here.
katrina_ooi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Emiluu)
2) God is omnibenevolent, omnipotent, and omniscient (all loving, all powerful and all knowing), people are not. If you said god was a person you’d be saying he doesn’t have his godly attributes. Humans are flawed, like in Genesis Adam and Eve are deceived by a serpent, God cannot be deceived as he is perfect. God is so perfect he is beyond our understanding so he can’t be like us otherwise we’d understand him

However, if being human prevented us from being the same as God then this could be compared to denying Jesus’ existence as he was basically God in human form.

Also person could be different than human. Humans are flawed (we do bad things, though arguably so did God if you take the bible literally). But being a person could simply mean having good emotions, like compassion. If God wasn’t like a person in a way he wouldn’t really understand us and wouldn’t be forgiving, compassionate etc. Also we are said to have the ability to become God like so saying God is a person makes this goal seem more achievable.

Note I’m an atheist and didn’t study these topics specifically (but I did Aquinas cosmological argument, which is the same basically, but more detailed) but got full marks at Scottish higher (a little more UCAS points than AS level I think) for the religious and philosophical studies paper, so I could elaborate more if you’d like on a specific area.
Hi, for the first one, about the Kalām Cosmo. I’ve done like a draft of what’s the essay going to be but for the introduction, I’ve included What’s Kalām Cosmo argument( an argument in which existence of a unique being, generally seen as some kind of god. ) needs more elaboration
Also, i don’t really know how to give a good start at the introduction. Do I have to include William Lane Craig ? ( in my draft, I just mention that he modernised the Kalām argument. How would I include or expend because I feel like my introduction is going to be too short and my world limit is 1000.

Is there like a specific essay structure to philosophy essay ? Example: Intro, argument, objection ...... conclusion ??
Emiluu
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by katrina_ooi)
Hi, for the first one, about the Kalām Cosmo. I’ve done like a draft of what’s the essay going to be but for the introduction, I’ve included What’s Kalām Cosmo argument( an argument in which existence of a unique being, generally seen as some kind of god. ) needs more elaboration
Also, i don’t really know how to give a good start at the introduction. Do I have to include William Lane Craig ? ( in my draft, I just mention that he modernised the Kalām argument. How would I include or expend because I feel like my introduction is going to be too short and my world limit is 1000.

Is there like a specific essay structure to philosophy essay ? Example: Intro, argument, objection ...... conclusion ??
Not familiar with A-level marking structure. For me it was a point, analysis, evaluation thing, so you didn’t really need an introduction nor conclusion. However I’d say in the introduction explain what the Kalam Cosmo is, and u could talk about the guy who modernised it, and HOW he modernised it. Then go on to say how this argument could help prove how a unique being exists (both the traditional one and the modernised one) then give direct objections about how the Cosmo argument (again both the traditional one and the modernised one) is flawed and doesn’t really prove the existence of this being, remember to state WHY the objection contradicts/disproves the argument. In the conclusion I’d assume it’s about evaluating how strong u think each point of view is, so is the Cosmo argument or the opposition more convincing? And say why it’s more convincing, there’s not really a right or wrong answer to this, it depends on personal belief, as long as u give good justification as to why one is more convincing (and try to avoid saying things like “I think x is more convincing than y because..” and instead say “x is more convincing than y because..”, this is because if say you think something it makes it seem like a less convincing point as it’s only your opinion, whereas if u state it as though it’s a fact it makes u sound more convincing). So basically, if u think the opposition is more convincing than the argument then say it is convincing because ... how it disproves / weakens the argument.. and if u think the opposition is less convincing than the argument say it’s not very convincing because ... how it fails to effectively disprove /weaken the argument.

In the conclusion / when evaluating it’s best to mirror the words of the question, in this case the word “convincing” is what you are judging in terms of the objection. So you just need to talk about how convincing the objection is.

I just find it strange u were only asked to give one objection, but I’m sure you could group a few ideas together to form one.
Last edited by Emiluu; 2 weeks ago
katrina_ooi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Yeah, my teacher just asked for one objection. Probably its because its a 1000 word essay only
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (174)
48.74%
No (44)
12.32%
I'm not old enough (139)
38.94%

Watched Threads