Vodex_Law
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey guys!

First and for most: I’m an international student from Austria.

So yeah not a good day. Received my rejection from Worcester for law.

Question:
I have an offer from Durham and waiting on Bristol Dundee and KCL.

I most likely will reapply with achieved grades but should I accept an offer and reapply while I’m in first year (Is that even possible?) or take a gap year and start from scratch? I know Durham is amazing but I REALLY wanted to go to oxford and I don’t see the harm in reapplying.

I’m grateful for any help sadly i don’t have any possibilities to request guidance here in Austria haha

Also congrats to everyone that received an invitation!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Oxford I believe do accept applications from those already studying at another HE institution (whereas Cambridge at least formerly did not, although I think they also do now), however I believe they do note they require the support in your application from the tutor at the university you would be studying at when you are applying. Perhaps contact Oxford directly and enquire about what they would recommend - they may well not give you any clear guidance in either direction, but it doesn't hurt to ask!

Something to consider is the financial ramifications of that - will you be able to finance an additional year of study in the UK? Are you self-funding, or are you being funded by some existing body (such as the Austrian government or similar), and if the latter case, do they have restrictions on how much funding you can receive (and will studying an extra year cause issues for this)?

Were you rejected pre-interview? Did they offer feedback on why? If not, I'd recommend querying that (although I think a lot of colleges don't offer feedback for pre-interview rejections). Consider whether realistically you will be able to make a competitive application once you receive your grades, and whether the reason for your rejection may be something you are or are not able to remedy in the next year (e.g. admissions assessment score(s), or whether it's past achieved grades being too low, or your current predicted grades being too low).

If funding is not an issue, then I don't really see any harm in reapplying while at Durham if your tutor will support the application, personally
Vodex_Law
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Oxford I believe do accept applications from those already studying at another HE institution (whereas Cambridge at least formerly did not, although I think they also do now), however I believe they do note they require the support in your application from the tutor at the university you would be studying at when you are applying. Perhaps contact Oxford directly and enquire about what they would recommend - they may well not give you any clear guidance in either direction, but it doesn't hurt to ask!

Something to consider is the financial ramifications of that - will you be able to finance an additional year of study in the UK? Are you self-funding, or are you being funded by some existing body (such as the Austrian government or similar), and if the latter case, do they have restrictions on how much funding you can receive (and will studying an extra year cause issues for this)?

Were you rejected pre-interview? Did they offer feedback on why? If not, I'd recommend querying that (although I think a lot of colleges don't offer feedback for pre-interview rejections). Consider whether realistically you will be able to make a competitive application once you receive your grades, and whether the reason for your rejection may be something you are or are not able to remedy in the next year (e.g. admissions assessment score(s), or whether it's past achieved grades being too low, or your current predicted grades being too low).

If funding is not an issue, then I don't really see any harm in reapplying while at Durham if your tutor will support the application, personally
Thank you soooo much!

I will have to look into the financial aspect that is true.

I got rejected pre interviews. Only received the generic email which everyone else got as well citing “competitiveness” as the reason. After the shock moment I did ask for feedback and (surprisingly) they responded within 10 minutes. Said feedback can not be given before 2020 but afterwards yes.

Honestly I will probably only reapply if he reason(s) were my predicted grades (my German grade was bad tbh) or my LNAT. Because I can fix that but if it’s anything else I think I’ll let it go. Maybe go back for a masters.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Vodex_Law)
Thank you soooo much!

I will have to look into the financial aspect that is true.

I got rejected pre interviews. Only received the generic email which everyone else got as well citing “competitiveness” as the reason. After the shock moment I did ask for feedback and (surprisingly) they responded within 10 minutes. Said feedback can not be given before 2020 but afterwards yes.

Honestly I will probably only reapply if he reason(s) were my predicted grades (my German grade was bad tbh) or my LNAT. Because I can fix that but if it’s anything else I think I’ll let it go. Maybe go back for a masters.
That seems like a reasonable plan; I'm surprised they offered to provide further feedback (presumably after interviews are completed) though. Hopefully they will be able to provide some useful feedback and then you can make some plans moving forward Bear in mind you don't need to accept/reject any other offers you hold until May, so you can wait a while and mull over your options.
Vodex_Law
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
That seems like a reasonable plan; I'm surprised they offered to provide further feedback (presumably after interviews are completed) though. Hopefully they will be able to provide some useful feedback and then you can make some plans moving forward Bear in mind you don't need to accept/reject any other offers you hold until May, so you can wait a while and mull over your options.
The May part is perfect because that is when my final grades will be released so I suppose that will help me when deciding. And yeah, I just hope they mention something I can actually change. Otherwise, maybe I will try Cambridge... Guess I still have all options except for starting Oxford in 2020. A Gap year does not sound too bad either haha I could use a break.

Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it!!
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Vodex_Law)
The May part is perfect because that is when my final grades will be released so I suppose that will help me when deciding. And yeah, I just hope they mention something I can actually change. Otherwise, maybe I will try Cambridge... Guess I still have all options except for starting Oxford in 2020. A Gap year does not sound too bad either haha I could use a break.

Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it!!
No problem, glad to help

Bear in mind the deadlines are as follows (copied from the UCAS site):

"
Reply dates
These are based on when we get the last decision in from your unis or colleges. Check Track to see your personal deadline.
  • If you receive your last decision on or before 31 March 2020, your reply date is 5 May 2020 (if your postal address is in the EU).
  • If you receive your last decision on or before 6 May 2020, your reply date is 4 June 2020 (includes applicants with a postal address outside the EU, but not applicants using Extra to find a place).
  • If you receive your last decision on or before 4 June 2020, your reply date is 18 June 2020 (except if you're using Extra to find a place).
  • If you receive your last decision on or before 13 July 2020, your reply date is 20 July 2020 (including Extra choices).

"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (276)
33.91%
No (538)
66.09%

Watched Threads