TheKurrydon99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I was just rejected from Jesus college at Cambridge for computer science before being given an interview. I've heard that upwards of 80% of Cambridge applicants are interviewed and I would have thought that I would be part of that 80%. I have 4A* prediction and I am pretty sure that my personal statement was solid. I haven't received my entrance exam results (CTMUA) yet as we get them next week. Does anybody have any idea to why I would have been rejected?
Kaaiowo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Maybe attendance to school or your overall behavior to school. Most universities don't look at that but as Cambridge being the best university in the UK, they probably do. Ask teachers or your friends maybe they'll have an idea.
Emilio Ramirez
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
contact them now, could be an admin problem
avacados1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Kaaiowo)
Maybe attendance to school or your overall behavior to school. Most universities don't look at that but as Cambridge being the best university in the UK, they probably do. Ask teachers or your friends maybe they'll have an idea.
That wouldn’t be a factor at all unless ops teacher mentioned something negative in his reference which I doubt very much.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
maybe they get to see your CTMUA results before you do ?

:dontknow:
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TheKurrydon99)
I was just rejected from Jesus college at Cambridge for computer science before being given an interview. I've heard that upwards of 80% of Cambridge applicants are interviewed and I would have thought that I would be part of that 80%. I have 4A* prediction and I am pretty sure that my personal statement was solid. I haven't received my entrance exam results (CTMUA) yet as we get them next week. Does anybody have any idea to why I would have been rejected?
What did you submit in your application? You need to go through that and rather than look for what's good, like 4A* predictions, you need to look at what was or could have been weak in your application. That then tells you where the bar is for applications in your subject this year.
SteveObolowongai
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Maybe you were just boring in your personal statement? It's all well and good having the 4 A*s prediction and having really good grades, but if you've got nothing about you, i.e. you're dull, then it's not surprising you got rejected. Not suggesting you are dull or anything, I'm just speculating off of what I've been told because it seems odd you have been rejected with such good grades.
TheKurrydon99
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
What did you submit in your application? You need to go through that and rather than look for what's good, like 4A* predictions, you need to look at what was or could have been weak in your application. That then tells you where the bar is for applications in your subject this year.
I'm not sure, I guess only the personal statement and the entrance exam results if they get them before us? I'm not certain if they have the results or not
TheKurrydon99
Rep:
?
(Original post by SteveObolowongai)
Maybe you were just boring in your personal statement? It's all well and good having the 4 A*s prediction and having really good grades, but if you've got nothing about you, i.e. you're dull, then it's not surprising you got rejected. Not suggesting you are dull or anything, I'm just speculating off of what I've been told because it seems odd you have been rejected with such good grades.
My personal statement was very research heavy, It was mainly talking very in-depth about quantum computing which my teachers said was good as it demonstrated knowledge but maybe it was not the best approach?
SteveObolowongai
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My personal statement was very research heavy, It was mainly talking very in-depth about quantum computing which my teachers said was good as it demonstrated knowledge but maybe it was not the best approach?
I think thats good because it shows you have a passion for the subject and a drive to know more. But maybe you could have also talked about things to do with your social life (which links to communication skills/teamwork), like if you were in any clubs or did group projects, etc. Also, showing you have interests outside of computing/maths is good because it makes you seem less one dimensional.
ShootForTheStars
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think thats good because it shows you have a passion for the subject and a drive to know more. But maybe you could have also talked about things to do with your social life (which links to communication skills/teamwork), like if you were in any clubs or did group projects, etc. Also, showing you have interests outside of computing/maths is good because it makes you seem less one dimensional.
Hmm, not sure I agree with this. Cambridge themselves have said many times they only care about academics and couldn't care less about your outside interests.
SteveObolowongai
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ShootForTheStars)
Hmm, not sure I agree with this. Cambridge themselves have said many times they only care about academics and couldn't care less about your outside interests.
Well that's new to me
ShootForTheStars
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well that's new to me
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....udents-prepare

"A student's participation (or not) in specific extra-curricular activities that are not relevant to the course applied for are not taken into account and do not affect their chances of being made an offer of a place at Cambridge."
Last edited by ShootForTheStars; 2 weeks ago
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....udents-prepare

"A student's participation (or not) in specific extra-curricular activities that are not relevant to the course applied for are not taken into account and do not affect their chances of being made an offer of a place at Cambridge."
I think you need to be slightly careful interpreting this advice. DofE isn't strictly 'relevant' to any Cambridge course, but it shows skills like perseverance and leadership which are definitely supportive of an application.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I"m afraid nearly every applicant is predicted three or four A* at A level, but only about 16% of applicants across the A level cohort meet their grade. I suspect the percentage is much higher for Oxbridge applicants, but you get the idea. '4 A*' isn't a differentiating factor.

I think once the CTMUA results come out you should get your explanation why you've been rejected pre-interview. In some ways, it's better to be rejected outright than have to go through the rigmarole of being interviewed and then rejected in January. At least you know! Being more positive about it, what are your other options?
mansnothottt
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I had my drafts for my PS checked by a former AT at Oxf*rd (family friend). She basically deleted all the EC stuff and left in like a 3 lines. She told me to replace everything she deleted with more academic stuff. I know it's only one opinion, but she seemed to think along the "couldn't care less about your outside interests"
TheKurrydon99
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
I"m afraid nearly every applicant is predicted three or four A* at A level, but only about 16% of applicants across the A level cohort meet their grade. I suspect the percentage is much higher for Oxbridge applicants, but you get the idea. '4 A*' isn't a differentiating factor.

I think once the CTMUA results come out you should get your explanation why you've been rejected pre-interview. In some ways, it's better to be rejected outright than have to go through the rigmarole of being interviewed and then rejected in January. At least you know! Being more positive about it, what are your other options?
That is fair enough, although surely it would at would at least place me in the top 80%? Also, does that mean they have the CTMUA results already then?

Also regarding other options I'm not sure, either taking a year out and re-applying next year or Durham.
JockstrapAttack
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Occurrences like this always bewilder me.
Keewi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Personally, I do not think research shows much as literally anyone can go online and try and find some credible source for what they are looking to study.
At most, if I were in your position, I would have put down only one thing I researched.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JockstrapAttack)
Occurrences like this always bewilder me.
Yes, and you've made that clear on every thread.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (145)
19.54%
Labour (376)
50.67%
Liberal Democrats (103)
13.88%
Green Party (38)
5.12%
Brexit Party (9)
1.21%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.4%
SNP (14)
1.89%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.4%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.81%
SDLP (1)
0.13%
Ulster Unionist (4)