The Student Room Group

Why do people want to become teachers?

Teenagers are really annoying?

Scroll to see replies

It seems like a rewarding job knowing you’re educating the future generation. But it’s not rewarding in the sense that teachers are underpaid for the amount of work they have to do.
Stable pay and benefits

**** any other reason, we know the facts

If you love kids so much, have one.

If I go abroad to teach English, I'm telling you now..it's not because I think it's some amazing moral obligation lol it's just security while in a strange country.
Some of my teachers told me that they actually enjoy teaching to teens, which shocked me, but ah well.

But I always thought it was because they got to have half term and summer off, just like the students since school is closed, unlike a usual full time job where you only get around 28 days off for the entire year.
Original post by Anonymous
underpaid for the amount of work they have to do.

...is there an official scale that measures pay by amount of work? "this amount of work must equal x amount of pay"? Why do people always say that? It's called hourly wage. Pay is great if the hours of work are consistent so that the wage adds up. You're not paid by difficulty or amount of tasks...lol you're paid based on budget and rank.

An analogy:
Retail company
Hierarchy=
CEO
HR
Area manager
store manager
Department manager
Supervisor lead
Commission sales associate
Non com sales associate and customer service
Cleaner

Within Education. Teachers rank as sales associates would in retail. So they get paid less than any other position. But the pay is still stable and reliable and sustainable.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
The holidays are the only thing I can think of. It’s a job that keeps getting more difficult as kids begin to feel like they can get away with whatever they want and their parents often feel the same. If the job was actually about teaching it would be more popular, but it increasingly involves more and more disciplinary actions towards kids who are increasingly becoming more disrespectful as school rules and punishments become softer, preventing teachers from doing the job they should be doing which is educating. I wouldn’t do the job.
Reply 6
Original post by Bang Outta Order
...is there an official scale that measures pay by amount of work? "this amount of work must equal x amount of pay"? Why do people always say that? It's called hourly wage. Pay is great if the hours of work are consistent so that the wage adds up. You're not paid by difficulty or amount of tasks...lol you're paid based on budget and rank.

What are you trying to say, that they aren't underpaid?
Original post by iBearHQ

Check my post edit.
Original post by Emiluu
The holidays are the only thing I can think of. It’s a job that keeps getting more difficult as kids begin to feel like they can get away with whatever they want and their parents often feel the same. If the job was actually about teaching it would be more popular, but it increasingly involves more and more disciplinary actions towards kids who are increasingly becoming more disrespectful as school rules and punishments become softer, preventing teachers from doing the job they should be doing which is educating. I wouldn’t do the job.

What do you mean become softer? "become" implies that there were many ways to discipline pupils, and that are continuously being written out and to this day....any..examples....? Because...all I can think of is caning. Which I'm glad is gone not because it's physical discipline, but because of pedophilia since it has required pants being pulled down nude... I can only imagine why boys at boarding schools act camp...
Because why tf not
I have come across English literature teachers who love teaching - talking about poetry and novels all day is their ideal job so it's worth it even though some students are totally disinterested/troublemakers. Science teachers I don't get it, if you really love science I would have thought you'd want to do research and make discoveries.
Reply 12
What do you mean become softer? "become" implies that there were many ways to discipline pupils, and that are continuously being written out and to this day....any..examples....? Because...all I can think of is caning. Which I'm glad is gone not because it's physical discipline, but because of pedophilia since it has required pants being pulled down nude... I can only imagine why boys at boarding schools act camp...

Oh noo physical punishment is a no go, I mean (at my school) kids are never expelled and just get excluded only for a few days even after seriously assaulting others, (pretty sure including actual criminal records for violence/assault, sexual assault) as state schools (here anyway) seem to be discouraged from excluding pupils as they just get stuck in another unfortunate school. Also I think kids just don’t care so much anymore no matter how much they get shouted at so school staff just kinda give up. Teachers at my school also seem to “befriend” these kids in a weird way as if they think that’s the only option. But then I guess due to teaching being quite challenging especially in state schools where I am, they can’t always hire the best staff.
(edited 4 years ago)
In what sense? Because this is posted in the relationship section in the website? A sense that teachers who help people get into and settle in long term relationship? Maybe because they want to see other people succeed! That's what I think!
Reply 14
No one knows. It is one of the worse jobs in the UK.
Original post by mgi
No one knows. It is one of the worse jobs in the UK.

main reason people become teachers because:
they are passionate about their subject
to make a different to kids lives

An analogy:
Retail company
Hierarchy=
CEO
HR
Area manager
store manager
Department manager
Supervisor lead
Commission sales associate
Non com sales associate and customer service
Cleaner

Within Education. Teachers rank as sales associates would in retail. So they get paid less than any other position. But the pay is still stable and reliable and sustainable.

Yes but it doesn’t take into account the hours of work they do at home at 9 o’clock at night marking books. They do a lot more than the hours of school time.
Original post by iBearHQ

Heads of departments are on pretty good money.
I'm actually studying to be a teacher right now, and I can answer this.

I want to make a difference. I've done the Corporate thing, where I make a rich person slightly richer at the end of the day. I've been yelled at by people who weren't teens, been threatened. I've got broad shoulders, so it generally doesn't bother me if someone wants to be as offensive as possible.

I want to help at least one person. That's why I want to be a teacher. I could earn more outside of teaching. I have. But I want to do something with meaning.
Someone's got to make the teenagers less annoying?:erm:

Quick Reply

Latest