catto
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm not sure what question to do for the extract I was looking at in a sample paper? The extract question comes up under three options which are drama and prose contextual linking, prose and poetry contextual linking and drama and poetry contextual linking.

Which one of these am I meant to do?
Gwil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is this AQA A-Level Paper 2? If so, it should be the same unseen extract for each option.
catto
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gwil)
Is this AQA A-Level Paper 2? If so, it should be the same unseen extract for each option.
Yes I was looking at the June 2018 paper 2b on the aqa website, I'm just not sure which one I'm supposed to do
catto
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gwil)
Yes I was looking at the June 2018 paper 2b on the aqa website, I'm just not sure which of the three options for the extract question I'm supposed to do
Gwil
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by catto)
Yes I was looking at the June 2018 paper 2b on the aqa website, I'm just not sure which of the three options for the extract question I'm supposed to do
It depends on the texts you are studying. Everyone studies a poetry, drama and prose text, and these are divided into Core Set Texts (assessed in Section A of the exam), and Comparative Set Texts (assessed in section B of the exam). If only your poetry text is on the Core Set Texts list, for example, then you have to do Option 1 on the paper (Poetry Set Text and Drama and Prose Contextual Linking). If more than one of your texts are on the Core list, then you can choose which one you write a comparative essay on. For example, I did Skirrid Hill and A Streetcar Named Desire, both of which are on the Core list, so on the day of the exam I chose to answer the Section A question on Skirrid and the Section B question comparing Streetcar to my prose text (Spies).

I hope that answers your question! I don't know why they had to make the exam format so complicated haha Which texts are you doing?
catto
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gwil)
It depends on the texts you are studying. Everyone studies a poetry, drama and prose text, and these are divided into Core Set Texts (assessed in Section A of the exam), and Comparative Set Texts (assessed in section B of the exam). If only your poetry text is on the Core Set Texts list, for example, then you have to do Option 1 on the paper (Poetry Set Text and Drama and Prose Contextual Linking). If more than one of your texts are on the Core list, then you can choose which one you write a comparative essay on. For example, I did Skirrid Hill and A Streetcar Named Desire, both of which are on the Core list, so on the day of the exam I chose to answer the Section A question on Skirrid and the Section B question comparing Streetcar to my prose text (Spies).

I hope that answers your question! I don't know why they had to make the exam format so complicated haha Which texts are you doing?
I'm doing streetcar and handmaids tale
catto
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gwil)

Was just looking at the list you linked, I'm doing feminine gospels, handmiads tale and streetcar so I would do the extract question in section b I'm assuming?
Gwil
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by catto)
Was just looking at the list you linked, I'm doing feminine gospels, handmiads tale and streetcar so I would do the extract question in section b I'm assuming?
All of those are on the Core Set Texts list, so you have free choice. You could do Option 1 (essay on Feminine Gospels alone + essay on unseen extract + comparison of Streetcar and Handmaids) or Option 2 (essay on Streetcar alone + essay on unseen extract + comparison of Feminine Gospels and Handmaids) or Option 3 (essay on Handmaids alone + essay on unseen extract + comparison of Feminine Gospels and Streetcar).

It just depends which text you prefer writing about on its own, and which two you would like to compare. Your teacher might recommend a particular option, or you may decide part way through the year that you prefer comparing a particular two of the texts.

Good luck!
catto
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gwil)
All of those are on the Core Set Texts list, so you have free choice. You could do Option 1 (essay on Feminine Gospels alone + essay on unseen extract + comparison of Streetcar and Handmaids) or Option 2 (essay on Streetcar alone + essay on unseen extract + comparison of Feminine Gospels and Handmaids) or Option 3 (essay on Handmaids alone + essay on unseen extract + comparison of Feminine Gospels and Streetcar).

It just depends which text you prefer writing about on its own, and which two you would like to compare. Your teacher might recommend a particular option, or you may decide part way through the year that you prefer comparing a particular two of the texts.

Good luck!
Thanks so much you've saved my life
Gwil
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by catto)
Thanks so much you've saved my life
You're very welcome - good luck with your studies
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (641)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (809)
42.27%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.75%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.49%

Watched Threads