Waitrose...Why???! Just Tell Me Why... Watch

LittleX
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So I'm trying to find a job in Bangor and I think I will starve to death before I manage to find something here because it's absolutely ridiculous.

For example, a part-time job at Waitrose. You have to complete two online tests that take you at least 30-40 minutes each and if you pass you will have to do another one. If you pass both of them, you have to rewrite your complete CV because there is no option to upload it and you have to even provide details about your grades (WHY?, WHY?!!)

I really don't know what to do because I am spending hours and hours every day trying to find a job in this s*** hole and I won't be even interviewed because in Bangor is like 400 people applying for each job (totally serious).
LittleX
Rep:
?
You must be seriously ****ing kidding me. it's asking me to do another test... OMG! Why do you have to pass 3 f**** test that takes forever just to get an entry-level job, why Jesus?
Sammylou40
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It’s tough. Just get through it then it’s done
Otherwise, get round the small shops and cafes and see if anyone has anything.
You can work in two or three different places if you do that. Variety for your cv. And if time becomes an issue giving up one isn’t a problem
Conniestitution
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Waitrose and John Lewis do that, Yeah. Not so bad when you get the job though!
ZdYnm8vuNR
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
ive never applied to waitrose, whats the test on? is it like common sense type stuff? like what-if scenarios? or is it like logic puzzles ?
DiddyDecAlt
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I know this pain, the online job search and application process is one of the most soul destroying activities one can undertake.
the1nOnlyy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Had to do that for John Lewis, afterall their customer service is supposed to be top notch. It's worth it if you get the job.
LittleX
Rep:
?
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
I know this pain, the online job search and application process is one of the most soul destroying activities one can undertake.
I never had any bigger issue to get a job. I managed to get one interview in Bangor at Tesco (but it's just a seasonal job) and got it, but if I won't even make it to the interview, it's not fun. I am getting lots of rejections and although you should not take it personally, it's easier to say than do.
Bangor is a really, really challenging place to get a job and if you can get a job here, you will get a job even on Mars I guess.
LittleX
Rep:
?
(Original post by ZdYnm8vuNR)
ive never applied to waitrose, whats the test on? is it like common sense type Istuff? like what-if scenarios? or is it like logic puzzles ?
It's more like the customer is the most important no matter what and do not bother your manager kind of questions.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Job applications are often difficult, though the high standards of a retailer are welcome from a customer perspective. Don't let it get you down.
LittleX
Rep:
?
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
Imagine that you would have to spent eternity in hell and your punishment would be filling out those questioners and your only break would be allowed to check your rejections emails, I think it would be even more effective than waterboarding.
DiddyDecAlt
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by LittleX)
Imagine that you would have to spent eternity in hell and your punishment would be filling out those questioners and your only break would be allowed to check your rejections emails, I think it would be even more effective than waterboarding.
abcthe123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Bit of advice coming from someone earning 25k at 20 with no degree.

Firstly if you haven't got some already, get some unpaid work experience. Contact the biggest and most prestigious businesses in your career field nearby and try and get a placement there, aim for 2 or 3 employers. Yes, working for free sucks but It gives your CV validity and provides a point of reference for prospective employers. This is vital. If your CV is looking a bit lacklustre, aim for online courses; they're always a great way to give it a boost.

Secondly get in contact with as many people you know personally who are employed and ask them if they're aware of any jobs there. This is probably the easiest way to get employed and is basically a fast track in the hiring process. Many businesses actively encourage it and hire exclusively this way. Every job that I've had minus one (they reached out to me) came this way. Getting a job through a jobsite is IMO near impossible with the number of applicants they receive.

If all else fails get in contact with an agency who will make it their priority to find you work.
Last edited by abcthe123; 2 weeks ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by abcthe123)
Firstly if you haven't got some already, get some work experience.
That is literally what they are trying to do.

The rest of your post just comes across as kind of ignorant and self-righteous since you've completely glossed over how this is issue at hand...
abcthe123
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
That is literally what they are trying to do.

The rest of your post just comes across as kind of ignorant and self-righteous since you've completely glossed over how this is issue at hand...
By work experience I mean working for free. It's anything but difficult and employers will do anything to get a bit of free labour.

I know people with prestigious uni degrees who can't find jobs because they're unwilling to work unpaid.
LittleX
Rep:
?
Bit of advice coming from someone earning 25k at 20 with no degree.

Firstly if you haven't got some already, get some unpaid work experience. Contact the biggest and most prestigious businesses in your career field nearby and try and get a placement there, aim for 2 or 3 employers. Yes, working for free sucks but It gives your CV validity and provides a point of reference for prospective employers. This is vital. If your CV is looking a bit lacklustre, aim for online courses; they're always a great way to give it a boost.

Secondly get in contact with as many people you know personally who are employed and ask them if they're aware of any jobs there. This is probably the easiest way to get employed and is basically a fast track in the hiring process. Many businesses actively encourage it and hire exclusively this way. Every job that I've had minus one (they reached out to me) came this way. Getting a job through a jobsite is IMO near impossible with the number of applicants they receive.

If all else fails get in contact with an agency who will make it their priority to find you work.
You clearly have no idea where Bangor is otherwise you could hardly write something like this. I was a night team leader at a hostel with 320 beds with an average occupancy of around 87-92%, but Bangor... there is absolutely nothing around and if something comes out, there is a massive number of people trying to get that job and some people are telling me it took them even a year to get the first job here.
abcthe123
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You clearly have no idea where Bangor is otherwise you could hardly write something like this. I was a night team leader at a hostel with 320 beds with an average occupancy of around 87-92%, but Bangor... there is absolutely nothing around and if something comes out, there is a massive number of people trying to get that job and some people are telling me it took them even a year to get the first job here.
Granted I don't know anything about the place, why can't you look outside of the city and think about commuting or moving?
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Move
LittleX
Rep:
?
Granted I don't know anything about the place, why can't you look outside of the city and think about commuting or moving?
You think I haven't tried? I am applying for jobs 30 miles around Bangor, but I have lectures Monday to Friday every day, lots of course work, etc.
abcthe123
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You think I haven't tried? I am applying for jobs 30 miles around Bangor, but I have lectures Monday to Friday every day, lots of course work, etc.
You have no friends/family in the area who are employed?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (88)
18.84%
Labour (231)
49.46%
Liberal Democrats (61)
13.06%
Green Party (28)
6%
Brexit Party (6)
1.28%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.64%
SNP (10)
2.14%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.64%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.28%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (2)
0.43%
UKIP (6)
1.28%
Other (4)
0.86%
None (19)
4.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise