Really bad mark on first assignment Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I’ve just got my first assignment result and it was really really bad :/// (34%). Im feeling so down because I’ve never done this bad before. The bad thing is this assignment is worth 80% of the module so now I’ve think I might have to re-sit it :/
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’ve just got my first assignment result and it was really really bad :/// (34%). Im feeling so down because I’ve never done this bad before. The bad thing is this assignment is worth 80% of the module so now I’ve think I might have to re-sit it :/
Most modules require you to pass both elements (exam and coursework) at 40% each, not as a combined total. If this is the case, (check your course/module regulations) you will have to resubmit it regardless of the total contribution of the coursework element to the overall module.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Reality Check)
Most modules require you to pass both elements (exam and coursework) at 40% each, not as a combined total. If this is the case, (check your course/module regulations) you will have to resubmit it regardless of the total contribution of the coursework element to the overall module.
At my uni I think you only need 30% in each but your overall grade must be 40% to pass
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
At my uni I think you only need 30% in each but your overall grade must be 40% to pass
OK - so long as you're sure. That takes the pressure off a bit.

What was the feedback like? Were there any specific areas where you lost a significant number of marks, such as inadequate referencing, or was it a more generalised thing? If you didn't get decent, detailed feedback, then it's crucial that you ask for it. I'd also arrange to meet the marker of the work (or course leader/lecturer for the module) to discuss it in more detail.

Don't be too hard on yourself - it's only your first piece of work, after all
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Reality Check)
OK - so long as you're sure. That takes the pressure off a bit.

What was the feedback like? Were there any specific areas where you lost a significant number of marks, such as inadequate referencing, or was it a more generalised thing? If you didn't get decent, detailed feedback, then it's crucial that you ask for it. I'd also arrange to meet the marker of the work (or course leader/lecturer for the module) to discuss it in more detail.

Don't be too hard on yourself - it's only your first piece of work, after all
From the feedback the main points are:

I didn’t understand the quote/question properly
References were quite messy
I need to link my paragraphs
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
From the feedback the main points are:

I didn’t understand the quote/question properly
References were quite messy
I need to link my paragraphs
So from experience, the first few pieces of written work that most new students hand in are c***. Its not because they are in any sense "bad students", they just have no idea what they are doing at the university level and are still in "A level tick the boxes mode". Your lecturers will know this and have a plan for how to fix it .

Those initial low grades are a very useful wake up call. They tell you (1) the level of competition just went up because everyone else on the course did just as well at A levels as you did. If you were good at school, you automatically just became average. (2) Expectations for quality, structure, referencing, critical analysis etc all went up several levels. Its ok not to understand that on day one, but there should be plenty of guidance, both written and via feedback to get you up to speed.

The key thing is to read those feedback comments CAREFULLY, make sure you know what they tell you to fix and how to do it. Bad referencing ? Ok, that's a standard "thing", plenty of guidance on how to do that. Unlinked paragraphs - lots of students write like the BBC web site, 1 and 2 sentence "paragraphs" with no flow. Easy fix, longer paragraphs, make sure information and ideas are neatly linked together.

When you fix those obvious structural and technical issues, things become much more interesting. The lecturer doesn't have to waste time telling you to reference properly and add a date and page numbers. They can move on to meaning and style. Nothing more pleasing than seeing a students marks ramp up over time .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Suffolk
    Undergraduate Open Day - Ipswich Main Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 9 Dec '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (160)
19.42%
Labour (419)
50.85%
Liberal Democrats (111)
13.47%
Green Party (45)
5.46%
Brexit Party (12)
1.46%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.49%
SNP (14)
1.7%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.49%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.73%
SDLP (1)
0.12%
Ulster Unionist (4)