Need advice on tranferring in 2nd year Watch

Venom7
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi so my decisions leading up to this point have been bad but I would like some advice going forward, let me explain what's happened so far:

2016-2017 - Finished A Levels (graded CCC)
2017-2018 - Took a gap year (mostly wasted)
2018-2019 - Year 1 at DMU doing Computer Science (graded 1st)

My choices and grades may or may not have been impacted by my current state of mind at the time (anxious, depressive), but I don't want to dwell too much on things I can't change. It's taken me a whole year (and a term) at DMU to realise:

a) I could have gotten into a better uni/course through clearing (or retaken A Levels), but I just accepted my unconditional offer as soon as I got it (stupid I know but I wasn't ready to risk clearing). Also my 6th form told me to apply to unis that have lower requirements (got CDDE at AS Levels).
b) The course I'm doing isn't really challenging and it upsets me to know I could be doing more at another course
c) I feel it might hurt my employability.

If all goes well I wish to do a MSc in Advanced Computer Science, both to learn more about a subject I'm passionate about and maybe improve my employability. I am very very torn on what action to take, but here are two plans I have come up with:

-Finish my degree here and do a MSc at a better uni (provided I get a 1st).
-Try to redo my second year at Leicester University, which has similar course content so I may be able to get in and then do a MSc.

Would a 1st in similar course content be enough to show I am capable of being on the course at Leicester?

Furthermore, since I want to do a year in industry (I am applying for jobs for next year @ DMU), would transferring use my postgrad funding? Are undergrad and postgrad funding the same (SFE: length of course+1)?

I know I should have taken a foundation year but my decision making was very poor and I hate myself for it. What I want to know is if it is actually worth "upgrading" my undergrad degree if I want a postgrad, or if it makes 0 difference (both for applying to postgrad courses and jobs) and I am just overthinking the whole thing.

I want my degree to be done right, as I have squandered everything prior so far, but I don't want to rock the boat and run the risk of having no placement year. I have contacted Leicester uni about this and I am awaiting a response. In the meantime I really need some guidance and thoughts.

Sorry about the long ranty post, these thoughts have been plaguing me for a while now and I have nobody to turn to. I hope I didn't ask too many questions (and that this is the right subforum). Thank you in advance to any replies.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Venom7)
Hi so my decisions leading up to this point have been bad but I would like some advice going forward, let me explain what's happened so far:

2016-2017 - Finished A Levels (graded CCC)
2017-2018 - Took a gap year (mostly wasted)
2018-2019 - Year 1 at DMU doing Computer Science (graded 1st)

My choices and grades may or may not have been impacted by my current state of mind at the time (anxious, depressive), but I don't want to dwell too much on things I can't change. It's taken me a whole year (and a term) at DMU to realise:

a) I could have gotten into a better uni/course through clearing (or retaken A Levels), but I just accepted my unconditional offer as soon as I got it (stupid I know but I wasn't ready to risk clearing). Also my 6th form told me to apply to unis that have lower requirements (got CDDE at AS Levels).
b) The course I'm doing isn't really challenging and it upsets me to know I could be doing more at another course
c) I feel it might hurt my employability.

If all goes well I wish to do a MSc in Advanced Computer Science, both to learn more about a subject I'm passionate about and maybe improve my employability. I am very very torn on what action to take, but here are two plans I have come up with:

-Finish my degree here and do a MSc at a better uni (provided I get a 1st).
-Try to redo my second year at Leicester University, which has similar course content so I may be able to get in and then do a MSc.

Would a 1st in similar course content be enough to show I am capable of being on the course at Leicester?

Furthermore, since I want to do a year in industry (I am applying for jobs for next year @ DMU), would transferring use my postgrad funding? Are undergrad and postgrad funding the same (SFE: length of course+1)?

I know I should have taken a foundation year but my decision making was very poor and I hate myself for it. What I want to know is if it is actually worth "upgrading" my undergrad degree if I want a postgrad, or if it makes 0 difference (both for applying to postgrad courses and jobs) and I am just overthinking the whole thing.

I want my degree to be done right, as I have squandered everything prior so far, but I don't want to rock the boat and run the risk of having no placement year. I have contacted Leicester uni about this and I am awaiting a response. In the meantime I really need some guidance and thoughts.

Sorry about the long ranty post, these thoughts have been plaguing me for a while now and I have nobody to turn to. I hope I didn't ask too many questions (and that this is the right subforum). Thank you in advance to any replies.
Have you spoken to Leicester? Universities often refuse second year entry if you don’t meet the requirements for first year entry - they might only be willing to take you into first year (using your current first year results as a substitute for A levels).

Your undergrad funding doesn’t affect your eligibility for a postgraduate loan. The only way it can is if you study an undergrad masters degree (which makes you ineligible for a pgl). Pg funding is much lower than undergrad - £10k has to cover your fees and living costs so you would need savings too.

Have you spoken to any of the universities that you’re interested in for your MSc? They can advise on whether a dmu degree would disadvantage you.
Venom7
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Have you spoken to Leicester? Universities often refuse second year entry if you don’t meet the requirements for first year entry - they might only be willing to take you into first year (using your current first year results as a substitute for A levels).

Your undergrad funding doesn’t affect your eligibility for a postgraduate loan. The only way it can is if you study an undergrad masters degree (which makes you ineligible for a pgl). Pg funding is much lower than undergrad - £10k has to cover your fees and living costs so you would need savings too.

Have you spoken to any of the universities that you’re interested in for your MSc? They can advise on whether a dmu degree would disadvantage you.
Hi, I have contacted Leicester and I am awaiting a reply . I haven't contacted any universities regarding my MSc so I will definitely do that.

If it turns out having a DMU degree does disadvantage me, would it be worth 1-2 years extra (not to mention having to fund a year myself) to improve my chances?

Also how much does undergraduate prestige matter to employers if I have a MSc at a good university?
Last edited by Venom7; 2 weeks ago
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, I have contacted Leicester and I am awaiting a reply . I haven't contacted any universities regarding my MSc so I will definitely do that.

If it turns out having a DMU degree does disadvantage me, would it be worth 1-2 years extra (not to mention having to fund a year myself) to improve my chances?

Also how much does undergraduate prestige matter to employers if I have a MSc at a good university?
My feeling is that since you have already done a year and a term at DMU it is probably too late to transfer (most people transfer at the end of Year 1) and could cause issues with student finance.

In any case, the prestige of your undergraduate uni does not normally matter for postgraduate study. I would try to look on the positives of your situation, which are that you achieved a 1st in your first year. Competitive MSc courses generally ask for a 2.1 from any institution so if you continue to work at this high standard you will be in an excellent position to get offered a Masters at a more prestigious uni.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’d agree with harrysbar

Unless you’re unhappy at DMU then getting a good degree classification and making the most of your placement year and other opportunities will do far more for your employability than getting your degree from an older university.
Venom7
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
My feeling is that since you have already done a year and a term at DMU it is probably too late to transfer (most people transfer at the end of Year 1) and could cause issues with student finance.

In any case, the prestige of your undergraduate uni does not normally matter for postgraduate study. I would try to look on the positives of your situation, which are that you achieved a 1st in your first year. Competitive MSc courses generally ask for a 2.1 from any institution so if you continue to work at this high standard you will be in an excellent position to get offered a Masters at a more prestigious uni.
(Original post by PQ)
I’d agree with harrysbar

Unless you’re unhappy at DMU then getting a good degree classification and making the most of your placement year and other opportunities will do far more for your employability than getting your degree from an older university.
I think you two are right. I'm not really unhappy at DMU, just at the fact I could have done better. I have probably been overthinking how much "uni brand" really matters when pursuing a Master's.

I'll contact the universities I'm interested in about their MSc courses (and competitiveness) and will continue to work hard towards a 1st. Thank you for the advice!
De Montfort University
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think you two are right. I'm not really unhappy at DMU, just at the fact I could have done better. I have probably been overthinking how much "uni brand" really matters when pursuing a Master's.

I'll contact the universities I'm interested in about their MSc courses (and competitiveness) and will continue to work hard towards a 1st. Thank you for the advice!
Hi Venom7,

It's understandable to think that you may not have fulfilled your maximum potential. I feel like this sometimes too. I went from doing entirely academic subjects during my A-Level's and now I'm in my final year of a Film Studies degree, which can be seen as more vocational. I worry that I won't stand out in the job market with just a degree alone. Therefore, I find trying my best to get a 1st, as well as doing extra-curricular activities, give me more confidence to stand out against other applicants. The fact that you have a placement year, and have opportunities to undergo shorter placements, volunteering and DMU Global opportunities alone stand you in good stead for the future.

For instance, I have been to two film festivals (Berlin and Cannes), am about to volunteer for the London Short Film Festival, and will be going to L.A. in April 2020. If you can make the most of your time at DMU you can sell yourself really well to future employers.

If you are wanting advice from DMU about your options (including queries about student finance) I would recommend looking at MyGateway for any departments that could give you advice. I would focus primarily on these departments:
- Student Finance: 0116 257 7595 (option 3, then option 3)
- Careers: 0116 257 7595
- Wellbeing and Mental Health (if you find yourself to be struggling): A Single Point of Access (SPA) appointment via MyGateway.
You can ring these numbers or book onto appointments via MyGateway.

Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck with whatever you decide to do

- Niamh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19
  • Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (28)
21.88%
Labour (63)
49.22%
Liberal Democrats (15)
11.72%
Green Party (9)
7.03%
Brexit Party (0)
0%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
3.13%
Plaid Cymru (0)
0%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (2)
1.56%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)