Hafeez_02
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I didn't get the Gcses for A-Levels, although I achieved a 4 for English and a 5 for Maths and Science (both foundation), but I am doing a BTEC level 3 course and I plan to go to uni to study either mechatronics or aerospace engineering.

For the Space Industry, and if I hypothetically I got a distinction overall for my BTEC and a upper second or first class degree in Uni, will I still get a chance to be employed?
And will my Gcses matter so much if everything else is great?
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hafeez_02)
I didn't get the Gcses for A-Levels, although I achieved a 4 for English and a 5 for Maths and Science (both foundation), but I am doing a BTEC level 3 course and I plan to go to uni to study either mechatronics or aerospace engineering.

For the Space Industry, and if I hypothetically I got a distinction overall for my BTEC and a upper second or first class degree in Uni, will I still get a chance to be employed?
And will my Gcses matter so much if everything else is great?
What career are you looking at. The space industry is broader than you think. Are you looking at satellite design, satellite materials, mapping of the Earth (geoinformatics) etc. Are you thinking of becoming an astronaut? Are you thinking of studying stars, planet formation and astronomy in general etc?

Also, very few companies care about GCSE's. Some do but the majority do not. It shouldn't affect you.
Last edited by 0le; 1 year ago
Hafeez_02
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by 0le)
What career are you looking at. The space industry is broader than you think. Are you looking at satellite design, satellite materials, mapping of the Earth (geoinformatics) etc. Are you thinking of becoming an astronaut? Are you thinking of studying stars, planet formation and astronomy in general etc?

Also, very few companies care about GCSE's. Some do but the majority do not. It shouldn't affect you.
I'm thinking of actually doing either Space Systems Engineering if possible, or any engineering jobs related to what you mentioned. But who wouldn't want to be an astronaut too haha.

It's a relief to know that my Gcses shouldn't hold me down. Thanks for the information!
maven2k
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To be honest, it seems to me that both courses require mathematics at A level. I myself do BTEC in computer science, but some top universities require A level mathematics in addition. I advise you to use the "which university" website, where you can find the universities you like and the requirements for the course.
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by maven2k)
To be honest, it seems to me that both courses require mathematics at A level. I myself do BTEC in computer science, but some top universities require A level mathematics in addition. I advise you to use the "which university" website, where you can find the universities you like and the requirements for the course.
Yes, but the question was about employment with companies, not university requirements.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (97)
28.36%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.87%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.01%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.53%

Watched Threads