Does anyone actually listen to this new era of hiphop? Watch

ThuggerThugger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I dunno if I’m just old now or what..but this new era of hiphop is awful and I’m wondering how anyone in their right mind could think otherwise. Artists hyped up but are absolutely utterly **** include:

21 Savage
Lil Uzi Vert
Migos
Da Baby
NBA Young Boy
Lil Yatchy

The list goes on..

Like wtf is going on? Admittedly American hiphop does not have the hype it once had in the UK back in like 2004-2015 so I’m not sure what these people who used to listen to artists like Eminem, 50 Cent, G-Unit, Nas, Lil Wayne etc are listening to now because this new era is pretty much a different genre of music. Admittedly I do listen to a little Young Thug (hence the name and pic) but thats really all I listen to from this new era and I gotta be in the mood. Only mainstream artist that doesn’t mumble down the mic that I can stomach these days is Meek Mill.
Last edited by ThuggerThugger; 3 weeks ago
ساره
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Lol I do sometimes. It depends on my mood.
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ساره)
Lol I do sometimes. It depends on my mood.
What artists?
ساره
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
What artists?
Mostly ASAP Mob and Offset as well as Dababy
_.Someone_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I mean kinda, I mostly stick to Uk grime when I'm listening to hip-hop stuff, but I like Denzel Curry and Vince Staples, and other stuff like it quite a bit. A lot of the genre is kinda s*** but there are decent songs knocking about.
abcthe123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Lmao how ironic. You're complaining about new era rap yet you have young thug as your name and AVI. Ask anyone who was into hip hop 10+ years ago and they'll put him into the exact same box you just put all of those other artists.

I need to mention Migos have been relevant just as long as thugger, they were huge back in 2013.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Only form of modern hip hop I like is UK Drill and Grime. Still a lot of lyricism, punchlines and wordplay left in them.
abcthe123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
Only form of modern hip hop I like is UK Drill and Grime. Still a lot of lyricism, punchlines and wordplay left in them.
Yet the only thing they rap about is stabbing each other up and selling drugs.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by abcthe123)
Nobody said there was any emotional depth in the lyricism, but it's not that kind of genre. It's a form of gangsta rap, not sure what else you'd expect.
Glaz
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
nah imo it's all trash. I'm not a fan of rap/hiphop tbh but if I want to I'll listen to A Tribe Called Quest or something like that lol.
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
juice WRLD is great, passionate lyrics and good music
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by _.Someone_)
I mean kinda, I mostly stick to Uk grime when I'm listening to hip-hop stuff, but I like Denzel Curry and Vince Staples, and other stuff like it quite a bit. A lot of the genre is kinda s*** but there are decent songs knocking about.
UK Grime doesn’t really exist anymore
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
Lmao how ironic. You're complaining about new era rap yet you have young thug as your name and AVI. Ask anyone who was into hip hop 10+ years ago and they'll put him into the exact same box you just put all of those other artists.

I need to mention Migos have been relevant just as long as thugger, they were huge back in 2013.
Read what I said fully.. and at least. “Young Thug” (which isn’t my name) does not mumble rap. Compare him to 21 Savage.
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
Which is why I don’t like Grime.. new school hiphop isn’t really like this.
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
(Original post by Glaz)
nah imo it's all trash. I'm not a fan of rap/hiphop tbh but if I want to I'll listen to A Tribe Called Quest or something like that lol.
Worthy post
_ap12
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Some of daves and aj traceys tracks are sick. Across the pond juice wlrd is prolly my favourite.
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bobjim12)
juice WRLD is great, passionate lyrics and good music
The thing is, that I consider him borderline R&B.. which is what annoys me about todays rappers they are making R&B love songs and calling themselves rappers.. I get that its good to be versatile but when you get all these big names putting out 95% R&B it becomes frustrating, an example of the is Tory Lanez. If they want to do R&B then go do it, don't be calling yourself a rapper.
_ap12
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
The thing is, that I consider him borderline R&B.. which is what annoys me about todays rappers they are making R&B love songs and calling themselves rappers.. I get that its good to be versatile but when you get all these big names putting out 95% R&B it becomes frustrating, an example of the is Tory Lanez. If they want to do R&B then go do it, don't be calling yourself a rapper.
Good point. The annoying thing is that juice can actually rap (check out his hour long freestyle) i guess its just easier for him to put out melodic stuff.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (108)
33.86%
No I don't (148)
46.39%
I work during the holidays (63)
19.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed