The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Jobs and Finance

Hi,
I’m applying to Bournemouth University to study film; however I’m worried that my maintenance loan won’t cover accommodation in the student village.

I was wondering what Bournemouth University is like in the way of SU jobs, and how viable it is to get a job as a first year without any prior experience?

Much love, thank you!!
Original post by Hollie Barnes
Hi,
I’m applying to Bournemouth University to study film; however I’m worried that my maintenance loan won’t cover accommodation in the student village.

I was wondering what Bournemouth University is like in the way of SU jobs, and how viable it is to get a job as a first year without any prior experience?

Much love, thank you!!

Hi Hollie, hopefully you get accepted to come and study with us. Many of the students I know chose to work in their first year to help pay for social activities (most of them said maintenance only just covers the basic bills)! Luckily there are loads of jobs suitable for students in Bournemouth including restaurant/bar/shop staff, and there's also loads of jobs available around the uni itself in the SU bar, shops, ResLife etc. I would thoroughly recommend working as an ambassador, you can do anything from supporting events to working with local schools and creating blogs and vlogs. It is a zero hour contract but that actually works really well around assignments and exams and you can commit to what you can each week.

Even if finances aren't likely to be an issue in your first year, I would suggest it's a good idea to look for work as the second year is often pretty intense academically and many students either need to cut working hours or find starting a job in second year when they are not used to working "x" amount of hours per week very difficult.

You can find out more about working whilst at uni and the link to the careers page listing some part time jobs on this page.

Good luck with the applications and please update us soon.

Vicki
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending