The Student Room Group

Wanting to move back home

I’m current at Edinburgh university which is 2 hours train from home and I really like my course, however, I’m so so so homesick. My boyfriend, family and friends are back home and I’ve been going back every weekend to spend time with them.

It’s not that I don’t have uni friends because I’ve met some amazing people - I just can’t cope with being away from home

I’ve thought about dropping out (before exams and Christmas) and reapplying for the same course at another uni closer to home for next year.

Am I making a mistake?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m current at Edinburgh university which is 2 hours train from home and I really like my course, however, I’m so so so homesick. My boyfriend, family and friends are back home and I’ve been going back every weekend to spend time with them.

It’s not that I don’t have uni friends because I’ve met some amazing people - I just can’t cope with being away from home

I’ve thought about dropping out (before exams and Christmas) and reapplying for the same course at another uni closer to home for next year.

Am I making a mistake?

Hi there,

I can't say what the best decision is for you, but have you considered speaking to your uni's support services? Feeling homesick is very common for students moving away from home, and often universities will have a wellbeing centre or counselling staff who can help you manage it.

If you decide you want to move back home, have you considered the possibility of transferring? If you successfully complete your first year you may be able to transfer straight into the second year of a similar course at another university which would save time and money.

Ultimately you have to decide what is right for you, but regardless I would definitely recommend speaking to your uni's support services for advice on your options.

Hope this helps!

-Miranda
Reply 2
Original post by Goldsmiths, University of London
Hi there,

I can't say what the best decision is for you, but have you considered speaking to your uni's support services? Feeling homesick is very common for students moving away from home, and often universities will have a wellbeing centre or counselling staff who can help you manage it.

If you decide you want to move back home, have you considered the possibility of transferring? If you successfully complete your first year you may be able to transfer straight into the second year of a similar course at another university which would save time and money.

Ultimately you have to decide what is right for you, but regardless I would definitely recommend speaking to your uni's support services for advice on your options.

Hope this helps!

-Miranda

I have looked at transferring into 2nd year at the uni closer to home which I can commute to, however, I really don’t think I can cope with another semester here to finish 1st year :frown:

I just keep thinking if I drop out now I can start in 1st year back home next September and not have to go through all of this
I have looked at transferring into 2nd year at the uni closer to home which I can commute to, however, I really don’t think I can cope with another semester here to finish 1st year :frown:

I just keep thinking if I drop out now I can start in 1st year back home next September and not have to go through all of this

Do whatever you feel is best for your mental health and happiness. If you’re really unhappy it’s not worth it

Am I making a mistake?

Hi there!

I would definitely recommend going to speak to your student support and well being team and get some advice from them. There are many outcomes from making various decisions around your situation and I think that by getting professional advice, you would strongly benefit and have the right information to make the best choice for you and your future.

Well-being while at university is incredibly important to achieve in your studies so its important to make a well informed decision. On a personal level, this is the start of your future so picking the right place is vital for career success.

Hope this helps!

Robyn

:rave:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending