W1669396
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
If anyone does a medical genetics module in their biomedical science degree please give me tips on how to revise for it. I am very very confused on where to even start
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi sorry no-one has replied!

It will depend partly on your uni and the syllabus that has been created by your lecturers.

I have only done Medical Genetics as a minor subject as a medical student, so the below may not help, but have a look.

A. TRADITIONAL CONCEPTS
1. Go through detailed DNA structure as the basis of genetics, and expand by looking at transcription factors, gene expression and repression.
2. mRNA, tRNA, rRNA and translation
3. Look at autosomal recessive and dominant transmission then sex-linked inheritance with examples.
4. Definitions of common terms e.g. homozygous, heterozygous, hemizygous, allele, heterochromatin, phenotype, genotype, exons, introns, euchromatin, HLA, karyotype, linkage, etc.

B. MODERN GENETICS
1. Gene therapy
2. Human Genome Project
3. Gene mapping
4. Genetic markers
etc.
5. sRNA, snRNA, snoRNA, siRNAs, miRNAs.

C. APPLICATION TO MEDICINE
1. Restriction endonuclease and splicing.
2. Disorders of metabolism e.g. phenylketonuria, albinism
3. Cancer genetics - alteration of cell regulatory systems, mutation, examples e.g. Philadelphia chromosome in CML
4. Immunogenetics - antigenic diversity, MHC, organ transplantation, Bruton's disease.
5. Genetic counselling

Hopefully, this should warm you up (it was -3 degrees C a few days ago ).

BEST OF LUCK - but bear in mind your uni's choices/your own lecture notes.

M
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (98)
72.59%
No (37)
27.41%

Watched Threads