The Student Room Group

should the legal age to go to university be raised to 20-21 years old

Poll

should the legal age to go to university be raised to 20-21 years old

what's your thoughts guys do you think is should be raised to that young people can discover the "real world" before jumping straight in to uni despite having maybe not worked before?
No.
I think the current usual age for starting uni is fine- 18.
Although some uni's do accept the applications of younger teenagers.
No - some degrees can last up to 7 years. If you start that at 20, you won't have finished the course until you're 27, which would be a little crazy, especially if it's something you're passionate about doing.
Reply 3
No. Best to start as soon as possible so someone can be qualified sooner to do the job they want. No need for more years in school. Some unis take people under 18 anyway. As long as they are academically qualified age should not matter.
Absolutely not
Original post by 1st superstar
what's your thoughts guys do you think is should be raised to that young people can discover the "real world" before jumping straight in to uni despite having maybe not worked before?

I suspect for many young people this would involve spending a year or two trying to get a job at a coffee shop or something like that. I don't see the need to delay the age at which young people will typically enter the jobs market.
Reply 6
Only thing I would say is that, after studying my Access to HE course (which requires A LOT of dedication and time management), they did state that the dropout rate of access students at uni is FAR lower than A Level students at uni. Everybody on my access course either has children or a full time job so I think we learn how best to manage our time, and we also do 2 years worth of A levels in 1 year. I feel like that prepares us better than A level students.

Don't think it'd be fair to raise the age though, because it'd affect those at 18 who really are committed to uni and know what to expect
Imposing an arbitrary legal age onto going to university is daft. For a lot of people it'd just set their career paths back for 2 years in exchange for slogging thru minimum wage work for no particular reason.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending