The Student Room Group

Pot holes destroying my car!

I often have to park my car on unadopted land across the road from my house (it’s like a randomly gap in between all of the houses) because we have 3 cars and only 1 parking space in our house and live on a main road, so can’t park on the road.

What can be done about the massive creators that are in this wasteland where I park my car?! It’s killing the shockers on both mine and my sister’s car but I don’t think the council will do anything about it because the land is probably unowned…
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Panickingdiscos
I often have to park my car on unadopted land across the road from my house (it’s like a randomly gap in between all of the houses) because we have 3 cars and only 1 parking space in our house and live on a main road, so can’t park on the road.

What can be done about the massive creators that are in this wasteland where I park my car?! It’s killing the shockers on both mine and my sister’s car but I don’t think the council will do anything about it because the land is probably unowned…

Is it or isn't it?
Original post by IWMTom
Is it or isn't it?

99% certain it’s unowned
Reply 3
If it's genuinely not owned by anyone, then do something about it yourself. It's almost certainly owned by someone though, even if they don't look after it. Properly unowned land in this country is incredibly rare.

Buy a couple of ton-bags of hardcore/MOT Type-1 and fill in the holes. If you only drive over it slowly then that will last a while. It'll cost you £2-300 though to fill any appreciable number of decent sized pot holes.
Original post by Nuffles

Buy a couple of ton-bags of hardcore/MOT Type-1 and fill in the holes. If you only drive over it slowly then that will last a while. It'll cost you £2-300 though to fill any appreciable number of decent sized pot holes.

'Burnings' might be another option, I don't know the exact composition, but it's basically old tarry degraded type 1 ect, and can be worked at a low temp (like sunlight/blow torch). My local council use it for potholes where they're feeling lazy/cheap or want to give apprentices and students something to do. But there's a reasonable chance the council would give you some if you asked.
Original post by StriderHort
'Burnings' might be another option, I don't know the exact composition, but it's basically old tarry degraded type 1 ect, and can be worked at a low temp (like sunlight/blow torch). My local council use it for potholes where they're feeling lazy/cheap or want to give apprentices and students something to do. But there's a reasonable chance the council would give you some if you asked.

Yes, this is a really good idea.
Reply 6
Original post by StriderHort

Depends on the size of the holes and the quality of the surrounding ground I guess. I assumed it was a rutted hardcore type track/area, but if it's holed tarmac/concrete then your idea would be more suitable.
Original post by Nuffles
Depends on the size of the holes and the quality of the surrounding ground I guess. I assumed it was a rutted hardcore type track/area, but if it's holed tarmac/concrete then your idea would be more suitable.

You did better than me, I put zero thought into what the ground was composed of :biggrin:

For all we know it's just earth and could be filled up with any old crap (Hedge cuttings can be oddly useful, a dense layer keeps it's spring quite a while and the lignin stuff take yonks to break down)
Keep your speed down and you'll be adding minimal wear to your car. Think how many speed bumps you go over. A few more bumps is neither here nor there.

Suspension bushes are semi consumable items on any car. Expect to replace the bushes or lower wishbones every few years on any car that you own, regardless of how smooth your parking area is.

Shick abosorbers should last well, unless you hit a harsh pothole at speed and end up bending one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending