HarryStalks
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Is there a rule when drawing ray diagrams? I'm confused on the direction the ray will travel in. If it will undergo total internal reflection or
refraction.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Total internal reflection can ONLY occur with a ray travelling out from a medium of higher optical density (greater refractive index n) to one of lower optical density.

So if you have a ray coming from glass into air, any ray that is approaching the glass/air interface with an angle of incidence less than the critical angle (look it up - I think it is about 60 degrees in this e.g.) I.e. closer to the normal at 90 degrees, will go through out into the air i.e. will undergo refraction.

Conversely, a ray approaching the interface with an angle of incidence greater than the critical angle i.e. getting towards parallel to the interface and further from being at right angles, will be totally internally reflected.

The latter is the principle used in optical fibre technology as in broadband and in medical instruments e.g. gastro-oesophago-duodenostomy.

Hope this helps!
M.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (178)
15.27%
Uncertainty around my education (192)
16.47%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (114)
9.78%
Isolating with family (80)
6.86%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (44)
3.77%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (99)
8.49%
Loneliness (114)
9.78%
Financial worries (52)
4.46%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (109)
9.35%
Exposure to negative news/social media (85)
7.29%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (99)
8.49%

Watched Threads